Melanie Griffith and epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Nakamova

Super Moderator / Thank You Queen
Reaction score
Just saw this article (http://people.com/bodies/melanie-griffith-reveals-epilepsy-diagnosis/) where actress Melanie Griffith reveals that she was diagnosed with epilepsy 6 years ago. On the one hand, great! -- it helps to destigmatize epilepsy when celebrities talk about their own experiences with it.

On the other hand -- booo! -- much of the information in the article is misleading. It implies that she had "genome testing" to determine whether she still had epilepsy, and the negative results show that she no longer has it. I think it's more likely that she had EEGs that indicated her epilepsy may be in remission. There's no mention of treatment, if she was on medication or is still on medication. She suggests in the article that her seizures were caused by stress, and that they stopped because her life became less stressful. Which is fine in a way -- stress is a known secondary seizure trigger -- but also gives the impression that all we have to to is eliminate stress in our lives and then our epilepsy will disappear.

So... one step forward, one step back, one step sideways...

I saw this article, too, so am happy you posted. I thought the same thing(s) you listed, therefore, the article is very misleading....... I was in a very stressful marriage and my seizures only went from TC to CP after we split. I don't think anyone really knows if their seizures are gone forever or not. Some folks can go years without them.........then BOOM!

I not seen article but have to agree it little unthinking perhaps stupidity better word.somebody her agent maybe should said something to her.
I hope told her eeg will not be definite if got it or not..
if stress was but the cause every one be dropping and lot of us pissed .To say stress don’t help but way she said it.Just say you got it but had no sz in 6years. And you cured ..she obiviosly in denile and alittle ashamed.
Her take on it then diabetic cured same way

Back
Top Bottom