memory/weight/need help?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

aboizd1

Pillar
Reaction score
I seem to really cycle through my thoughts of having e. Some days, I have questions, sometimes I ignore it, and sometimes I'm bawling- I don't know if this is normal or if this is me pretending half the time and realising the other half that it really is real.

I've gotten over not driving and have come to the idea of buying a car and parking it. So on the occasions when I can drive- I can- and then when i can't, I can't, and I'm okay with that. (I'm very controlled). And I've gotten over the fact that I can't "party" like my friends now...i know I need to be healthy :) especially to drive!!!! <--that's the goal

but I just cannot get over my memory, losing weight, and feeling sick..every day.

For my memory, I use to have an excellent memory, down to the T. Could recall anything, now I can't engage in a converstation without having to ask what were talking about. If going to a store, I'll make a list to be helpful, but forget the list. It's impossible for me to focus and remember. I tried FISHOILS, but saw no result after 3 or 4 weeks so I canned that.

As for weight, I lost 20 pounds between June and July and knew i needed it back so I tried hard and ate and drank fatty and booster foods and gained it back. However, once again, I have lost 20+ pounds and am continuing to lose weight. It comes off about a pound a week. I eat as much as I can, but there's only so much I can eat...

So really, I need help and ideas (more of them :p ) I see my Neuro at the end of the month and would love to take some ideas to her of what I'd like to do or changes that others have made that have been helpful? I need a new plan for me

but I just cannot get over my memory, losing weight, and feeling sick..every day.
You may be in luck. According to this article bad moods increase your memory. http://www.nationalpost.com/life/health/story.html?id=2173440

As for your weight, have you considered working out. I found it really did a lot for my stress & emotions but remember that muscle is heavier than fat, it's a much healthier way to keep the weight on.

Is there another med you can try? When I was on Zonegran, I lost weight and got moody. If you're not getting enough food, the low blood sugar alone could be affecting your moods and your memory. When you see your doc, I would definitely ask about other AEDs.

Topamax is another med that is bad for weight loss AND memory loss. I lost 25 lbs. when I first started taking it and my memory was terrible! Sometimes I couldn't remember what I was talking about by the time I tried to finish a sentence. So I would say, "never mind." I agree with Nakamova as the low blood sugar can affect one's moods also. Ask your neurologist if you could change your medication if this is the problem.

I haven't given alot of thought to working out per say..but I have definitly decided that I need to do something. I'm going to start doing yoga again, and I think I may either take up running or soccer- I really can't do the gym thing!

Cint-what you say about the memory is exactly how I am- I just give up on trying to finish talking and say nevermind because I can't even remember what i was trying to remember!

I had such a bad reaction with my first med (tegretol) that I'm comfortable on this med..even though it is not perfect (obviously) - so I'm nervous to suggest switching meds...just lowering my dose by 25mg a couple months ago caused me to have some withdrawl that made me feel awful for weeks! Does anyone have experience of how a body reacts in changing medication? is it a cold turkey switch and the body doesn't notice...? or am I dreaming?

... Does anyone have experience of how a body reacts in changing medication? is it a cold turkey switch and the body doesn't notice...? or am I dreaming?

In general, doctors will try to ramp you up on the new med to the therapeutic dose before weaning you off of your existing med. It is never a cold turkey switch (unless you are in the ER and they ramp you intraveneously in an emergency, but this isn't recommended).

How you react to a med change is always a big question mark. What works for one person may not work for another. There is no way to know how you will react until you try it.

The memory loss (without seizure activity) does sound like common side effect from an AED. Which one are you taking right now?

I'm on Gen-Topiramate (form of topamax?) only 125mg.

I believe myself to be fairly controlled. I have grand mal, had my first seizure on feb 9th and second on march 9th-when I was diagnosed with cordical dysplacia. So over the years I guess I have had maybe 3 before these two. Then in the summer I had an episode which could have been heat stroke or seizure-unknown!

So in not having them all the time I'm unsure what the meds are doing for me...not sure how low I can go with my dosage or what option is available..

memory loss is the huge issue though

Back
Top Bottom