Migraines and Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Crystal11

New
Reaction score
I just thought I would post about my migraines and Epilepsy and see how many people have similar troubles.

I take two medications for seizures: Keppra XR 3000mg and Lamictal XR 400mg a day. For Migraines, I take Butalbital (1-4 times a day as needed PRN).
I take two medications for allergies Veramyst and Epistat. So I take a collection of medications but some are PRN/as needed.
SO- last night and the day before I had a Migraine headache meaning that it lasted two days.
I took one Butalbital and don't like taking meds and try to keep it down to one pill until its not tolerable anymore. So I waited for the Butalbital to work and realized that it wasn't stopping the pain totally.
I was nauseous and not able to concentrate or eat or rest when it was already 3AM. I took another Butalbital which is a sedative and pain killer, waited and finally fell alseep. I was upset and wanted to cry.
The last time this happened, a more severe migraine, EMS came to get me as I sat in my closet, crying, so so sick, in severe pain and had already taken Pepto-Bismol, 2 Excedrin (can't tolerate) and had my seizure meds and had eaten dinner. I got a shot of Phenergan which I was allergic to.

Anyway, I told my roommate that I would rather have a seizure than a migraine since you're aware during a migraine and wish it would go away.

I have an iPhone and looked around and found a nice app for migraine and creating reports that a neuro can look at. Its easy to use and doesn't take a long time to enter data. After making a "report" you can see how many you had, and by answering 9 questions, it can produce a MIDAS score. This score is Migraine Disability Assesment Score which will tell you a number and this number is how severe or not the migraine impaired your daily life, or how much it interupted your life.

Does anyone out there notice an increase of migraines and also have Epilepsy
Does anyone out there notice their migraines increasing although they are on AEDs? (2 AEDs can be used for migraines)
What home treatment have you noticed that works and what medications do you use when it gets bad?

Just thought I would ask and see who all deal with similar issues. I know that Epilepsy and Migraines are co-morbid conditions in a lot of people.

My migraines started a few years ago in college- but I thought they were sinus headaches or related to stress. It would force me to sleep and for some reason, I craved sugar or candy, not chocolate, but things like mints or Jolly Ranchers to make the nausea or sickness more tolerable. I don't know why it helps but it does to some point.

Everyone take care
Crystal

Hi Crystal,

My migraines are postictal and last anywhere from a day to a couple of weeks. Before my seizures were under control I had almost constant migraines, 7 days a week. It was unbearable. Before my diagnosis I was on a migraine prevention medication. I forget the name. It kinda worked. Now that my seizures are under control I rarely get them.

When I do get a migraine I take a hydrocodone and a cyclobenzaprine, turn out all the lights and the heat in the house, go to bed, pack my head and neck in ice, and ride it out until it went away. Before I was on leave from work, I'd just bury my head in my workstation or do my best when talking to people, and just have eyes forward and try to survive. I was pretty non-functional when I was in so much pain so I didn't do too well at that.

Migraines suck. Big time. I'm hoping yours get better. You don't deserve that pain. <<<hugs>>>

My migraines began as a young teen. I connected them to hormones but was told as a young adult that that was not so. Then I could clock them being hormonal. I had them for more than 30 years. I then met a doctor that saved my life. He suggested I take magnesium, and I have not had a migraine in over 5 yrs.

My daughter also takes it for her seizures, which also are hormonally triggered.

hi crystal....
I too had a severe migraine yesterday and the day before (two days). I am on Keppra XR, and I have injections for the migraines (sumavel dosepro). I tried the fioricet (Butalbital), but no help for me. I have been on every migraine preventative there is....and also most of the abortives.
I get so sick, vomit, head pain that just won't quit. I think I am dying sometimes.

I do take Magnesium, Vit D, B12 injections, as well as medications for my MS.

I was so hoping that the anti-seizure meds would control my migraines like it did for Endless.

I too could live with my seizures (only simple and complex partials) if only I could get the migraines under control. I have about 12 migraines a month.

My home treatment is ice pack to the head....and then a very very hot bath or shower.....then I usually vomit. I do crave a ice cold coke too.

Hoping that you feel better soon. :)

I usually don't drink soda....but when I get a really bad migraine, I just want a coke. I think maybe it's the caffeine.

I probably have one or two a week.

Why?

Jeeezzzz. You guys just talking about an ice cold Coke makes me want one. And I don't even drink coke. Or any other soda for that matter.

Daisygirl..... could you pass one over?

I'm drinking an ice cold Tab as we speak. Help yourself...

Nakamova.....becareful with TAB, it has aspartame in it. A tigger for me!

I'll buy you a Coke!! :)

yes!!!! Ice Cold Coca Cola!!

coke21090701.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, boy that looks good. I'm tapering off my medications right now and its made me incredibly thirsty. i'm going to at least pour an orange juice on ice.

It's great to hear from everyone. I love me some caffiene but know doesn't help migraines at all! They put caffeine in migraine meds in order to get them to the pain faster and it's about one coffee cup worth of caffeine. I'm trying to cut down some but it's hard.
I shouldn't have it for my heart condition either but sometime I ignore my cardiologist and he knows I'm still drinking it. Lol
Take care everyone.

Chemicals in a can.... and dangerous ones at that.
Put a nail in the soda and it will disintegrate.

Why do that to your body?

Crystal, I have also had migraines since starting meds about 2 weeks ago. I have had them in the past but hadn't had any in months, so I didn't think it was a coincidence I got 3 in the last week.

I blamed the Dilantin I was on, since I had reacted badly to it since day 1. I'm on Lamictal as well, and reading about what you're going through makes me wonder if it's the Lamictal causing my migraines?

I also saw while researching Lamictal that, although it's not FDA approved, Lamictal is showing to be a potential anti-migraine med. So it seems weird to me that it would *cause* migraines, unless the doses are totally different.

At any rate, I hope you're feeling better soon :)

Last edited:
Unless I've had a seizure, no migraine. But now I have a regular headache all the time inbetween. I blame the Lamictal - the infamous "Lamictal Headache." I feel like I just want someone to lop my head off.

Is lamictal known to deplete your body of any natural substance. Perhaps your body is screaming for it?

I have already stated my case for magnesium, but perhaps there is another that your particular system is lacking.

Back
Top Bottom