[MAD] Modified Atkins Diet

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Has anybody tried the Atkins diet (Ketogenic) for intractible temporal lobe episodes? I am in the sixth month and it has been mostly successful. My seizures are far less frequent and less severe, too. :clap:

Hi raubenheimerw, welcome to the forum. :hello:

I moved your post to The History Book where members talk about treatments they have tried. Would you mind answering these questions? It will help everyone get a better understanding of the treatment.

Modified Atkins diet

What types of seizures (and how frequent) were you experiencing before starting the alternative treatment?
Temporal lobe seizures/episodes where I 'switch-off' for anything up to 20 minutes. Usually preceded by a dejavu aura and occuring 3 to 4 times a week mainly in the evening.

What AEDs (medications) had you tried prior to the alternative treatment?
I am 61 and have had this condition since my late teens and tried the full gamut of AEDs - too many to even remember. Currently I am on tegratol sr and kepra.

How long did you try the alternative treatment? (Not applicable to Lobectomy or Gamma Knife)
About six months now

If the treatment requires active participation, how diligent were you in applying it?
Very diligent. I measure my ketosis three times daily using ketostix.

What changes (improvements or otherwise) occured with your seizure control with the alternative treatment?
I now get episodes/seisures every 6 to 8 weeks and they are milder and shorter duration.

What (if any) adverse effects/events did you experience with the alternative treatment?
Constipation and cramps. Sorted by means of vitamins and mineral suppliments

How much did it cost you to implement the alternative treatment?
Meat is more expensive so cost is a factor, but it is not prohibitive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much for sharing your experience! :mrt:

:e:

Back
Top Bottom