Modified Atkins Diet

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Justin

New
Reaction score
Hi I just started the modified atkins diet 2 weeks ago and I have more energy and some smaller seizures. I am 18 and I have been on a ton of meds since I have had epilepsy since I was 2. I am really wanting these seizures to go away. I need some recipes (especially for sweets like cake, candy and more) I am only allowed 15 carbs a day. I have some ways but I feel like I am eating the same thing over and over for every meal. I do have the KetoCal and have made pancakes and they weren't bad. If you can help in advice or recipes that would be great! :noevil:

Thanks,:e:
Justin

Justin, I just started the MAD diet but like you am hoping to learn how to get as much variety into it as possible.

Good Luck, I don't have any ideas for sweets either!

John

You might try this site:
Atkins For Seizures
However... a word of warning, from digesting many nutritional ideas for seizures... reducing sugar intake is a needed aspect for good results.

Thanks RobinN I already have. I am trying to just trying to find something that will at least taste like chocolate. I did have today like a rootbeer float I took a glass and froze it for about 3 hours then poured diet rootbeer into it and added whipping cream in it and it tasted just like one!!!!

Thanks keep me up to date if you happen to find something that may take away my sweet tooth!

Justin

Problem is: diet rootbeer has chemicals that can be causing neuro-damage.

I am not familiar with the atkins per se, but there is a chocolate that you mix/melt with coconut oil and freeze dollops of it. These "candies" melt in your mouth. You are suppose to use dark quality chocolate, and the coconut oil is good for the GI tract.

*** this is one recipe I just pulled from our RECIPE files
Chocolate Bark

I am going to try these:
http://kellythekitchenkop.com/2009/02/easy-homemade-chocolate-candy-with-healthy-coconut-oil.html

Last edited:
Hi Justin,

Sounds good, 18 carbs a day, speaking als a keto kid mom whose son is allowed only 2,5 gr carbs each meal and 90% fat.
Kidding, Atkins is hard enough but worthwile the effort if it helps to control your seizures. Meals can be great on Atkins (even on the ketogenic diet ratio 4:1 they can if you know what products to use for fat and proteins and which low carb fruits and vegetables are best to use.)
You might want to take a look here http://site.matthewsfriends.org/
You'll find more about Atkins under 'Dietary treatments'. Other parts of the Matthews Friends website like 'The food' and 'Adults' may offer usefull information too.
I recomment the Matthews Friends Family Forum, the parents there are very helpfull with advise, recipies and they are very supportive. There's a lot of knowledge about dietary treatments there. I'm sure you can join the forum being an adult on Atkins.
Good luck to you, I hope it will help! Keto does for my son for allmost 6 years now, allthough he's never been 100% seizure free, the seizure reduction is significant as long as his ketone levels are adequate.

Last edited:
Thanks a ton Duch Mom! I do have KetoCal 4:1 I actually had pancakes today with it for breakfast and they tasted fine. Has your son had them? If so does he roll them up and dip them in sugar free syrup?

Justin

My son is on the classical keto diet ratio 4:1 which means he eats (a lot) more fat and less carbs and proteins compared to Modified Atkins.
We do cook al lot with oil, mayonaise, butter, cream, fat cheese.
We use fat meat like bacon, sausage and salami.
We use a lot of boiled egg whites in cold salads.
We bake omelets and mushrooms. You can mix beaten eggs with mayonaise and oil and bake a nice bacon/mushroom omelet or scrambled eggs with tomatoes and onions.
We use (small amounts of) vegetables like broccoli, carrots, tomatoes, onions spinach, endive, kohlrabi, cucumber and fruits like strawberries, blackberries and blueberries.
Ketocal is very usefull to bake nice (blueberry/cacao/vanilla) muffins and it makes perfect waffles in a waffle maker, we do mix ketocal with egg, butter and oil, we serve the waffles with some strawberries and whipped cream.

Last edited:
Ok that is really good to know. Your son may love these i made them and they were awesome! Take a muffin pan spray it with pam or some substance that makes 6 muffins and take raw sausage & cut up 6 slices put them at the bottom of the muffin pan then take 6 eggs mix them with cheese and onion powder(if you want) and then pour on top of raw sausage then pre-heat oven to 350 and bake till done (about 10-20 min.) I loved them!

Thanx! Will need some recalculation for my keto kid...
He is on 3 meals of only 433 calories each on ratio 4:1.
Meal targets are 43.3 gr fat, 8.3 protein and 2.5 carbs per meal.

That sounds really good Justin. I might try it without the cheese and mix in some chopped vegetable.

I understand how it feels to be left out of some of the things others do. One thing I would love to be able to do and was hard for me to accept was not being able to drive. I was diagnosed with epilepsy-seizures in 1999-my jr year of high school. I actually had them for a complete year and did not know they were acutal sz. I was having deja va feelings and was told by drs I was making it up to get attention.
The reason I am posting to this is bc I was the first on the Modified Atkins Diet at Johns Hopkins. In the artical about the first use for the Atkins Diet for seizures, I am the "one young adult". I was on it for about five years. I had already been on most meds and had one brain surgery. When my mother found out about the Ketogenic Diet she asked the drs at Johns Hopkins if I could try the Keto Diet. My neuro told us that I would not be able to do it since I was in my early twenties and would have to give up food. Then he told us that if I could remain on the Atkins diet for a few months, he may consider letting me do the Keto Diet. The Atkins helped a great deal, therefore I was told to just remain on it. I still had the few that occurred while on the diet. I was allowed about three carbs a day and I had to fax every week what I had ate, total carbs, current weight, ketone level, exercise, and other items.
I will admit, I learned that sugar is labeled many other ways! Just because it says "sugar free", it isn't. There are many alternate words for it. One way is if it ends in "ose" it is sugar. Examples would be table salt, I learned if I wanted any salt, I had to use sea salt.
If you have any questions, just ask.
I hope the diet works great for you!
Em

What a great resource you are Emily. I am so glad that you found yourself here. I know the Atkins Diet is interesting to many, but they are nervous about the "science" of it.
Thank you for offering your help.

My daughter started having her seizures a little earlier than you, at the age of 14. Just prior to beginning HS. She too was told by a prominent teaching hospital here in L.A., that she was using it for attention.

So...yea...I'm still awake at 2 AM researching the MAD diet.

How hard will it be to do this diet for a child that can not eat eggs, nuts or peanuts??? He can eat meat and cheese. Buffalo wings sound good right now--YUM!:hungry:

Still not wanting to increase the depakote and looking for an alternative.

Any advice from you experienced ones???

Do you know what those no-carb noodles are made from (please don't say it is soy!!!)???

Sure I will need a HUGE cup of coffee when the sun comes up:cheers:!

Back
Top Bottom