Modified Ketogenic Diet

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bernard

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
A diet that combines the principles of the Atkins diet and the ketogenic diet used to treat pediatric seizure disorders has benefits similar to the conventional ketogenic diet, according to investigators who presented their findings here at the 59th annual meeting of the American Epilepsy Society.

The children followed the diet for 6 months. The diet involved an initial restriction of carbohydrates to 10 g daily and encouragement to consume high-fat foods. Unlike the conventional ketogenic diet, children had no restriction of calories, fluids, or proteins. There was also no fasting period and no weighing and measuring of foods.

... All children received calcium and other vitamin supplements that they could not obtain through the diet.

The assumption with the ketogenic diet is that ketosis promotes seizure control. Dr. Kossoff noted that all children developed at least moderate urinary ketosis within 4 days of starting the diet; ketosis was attained an average of 1.9 days after the diet began.

Of these children, 16 (80%) completed the 6-month study and 14 chose to remain on the diet afterward. At 6 months, 13 children (65%) had an improvement in seizure frequency of more than 50%, and 7 children (35%) had an improvement of more than 90%. Four patients became free of seizures. At the end of the study, the average seizure frequency was 40 per week compared with 162 at baseline (P = .005). During the study period, mean serum blood urea nitrogen (BUN) increased from 12 to 17 mg/dL (P = .01), while creatinine was unchanged. Mean total cholesterol increased from 192 to 221 mg/dL (P = .06).

The children's weight did not change significantly; an average decrease from 34.0 kg to 33.7 kg was observed, and 6 children lost weight. Dr. Kossoff noted that a stable body mass index over time correlated with an improvement in seizure control of more than 90% (P = .004).

Intractable Pediatric Epilepsy Responds to Ketogenic/Atkins Diet

This is very interesting information. recently my partial complex seizures have been coming back after not having them for approximately 6 years. I have been wondering if this may help to control them. I know I need to figure something out, as they have been turning into convulsions in my sleep lately and I have been injuring myself.

Has anyone here had any experience with this?

Early studies have been positive, but research on the diet is still being conducted. If you are interested in this diet, you should contact Dr. Eric Kossoff, Assistant Professor of Pediatrics and Neurology, Johns Hopkins Children’s Center, who is now accepting patients, aged 18 and older for a study: ekossoff @ jhmi.edu or (410)614-6054.

Back
Top Bottom