Mood swings

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RanMan

Too Much Experience with Epilepsy
Reaction score
I've noticed that over the past few years, as a result of the meds that I take, I have been experiencing mood swings-so bad that they're affecting my family. One minute I'm happy and joking around (I used to be the life of a party) and the next I'm mad at everyone. My wife is afraid that I'll ruin Christmas. (in front of the relatives) Does anyone know of any med that I could take to combat this that won't interfere with my current meds (dilantin, pheonobarb & Masasol) besides smoking pot? (that always reverses the side effects)

BTW Has anybody reading this post been certified by the Government to possess medical marijuana?? I don't know about the laws around this subject in the states but in Canada they are pretty leniant.

BTW I've been taking 20mg of Celexa/day since March, that's the minimum doseage. It's just enough to take the edge off-so I'm not so snappy with ppl and it helps me to cope with things much better.

Randy

Last year, my state (Vermont) passed a medical marijuana law and I must admit that I like the Canadian law alot better. As in Canada, intractable epilepsy is covered, however, to register here, instead of needing letters from your doctors provided to the Department of Health, you have to contact the Department of Public Safety. Then, you're allowed to grow your own - three mature plants a year. Then, you have to prove to the Department of Public Safety that you will keep your pot under lock and key. Although I know several people around here who grow their own for a variety of medical reasons, no one has registered with the state. The local sheriff claims to already know who has a medical condition for which s/he is growing pot so it doesn't really make any difference.

I used to smoke marijuana - "recreationally" as they said - in my students years. I haven't noticed any difference, but then I was without seizures.

Well, I can say that marijuana didn't provoke any seizures - except usual "laughing fits", which was why we smoked it. ;)

Now I don't smoke it anymore. In Slovenia it is not approved for medicinal purposes. Smoking is legal, however not the posession of "larger" quantities - I don't know how much of it you can have with you, I think 5 g.

So, if anyone wants to use marijuana in medicinal purposes, basically he/she can do that.

Bernard,
As you mentioned, I did say in an earlier post that my son was bipolar.
It does run in the family on my wife's side, I've been checked and I don't have it.

Randy

OK. Well that's good! I hope the question didn't upset you. Just seemed like sudden mood swings might fit the bill (but I'm no expert on bi-polar disorder).

Maybe the mood swings are related to seizure activity?

Bernard,
Thanx for your concern. My neurologist told me that the mood swings are a result of the diantin and not necessarily from the epilepsy although this is one of the symtoms of bipolar.

Randy

Med change?

Why doesn't the Dr change your med ,now that your starting to have side effects from the dilantin? I find it infuriating that the Canadain Drs are so slow to change meds when your having side effects ,because your under control, you shouldn't complain. Is the Dr waiting for to destroy your body?

I am sorry my experience with Canadian Drs was horrible and having a Dr tell me you have sz control why take the chance? Is infuriating to say the least. Let them take the meds and experience the side effects. The Drs almost killed me twice ,because I am controlled.

Positive Person

POSITIVEPERSON:

What you say may be so but remember, I'm also on meds for Ulcerative Colitis and my current med "coctail" is the only one that will not interfere with my "MESOSOL"

When I was first put on dilantin 25 yrs ago, there was very little known about it's long term effects.
It's too late in my life to change meds (and risk lower brain stem damage) or go off them completely to stop it from getting any worse and risk a seizure.

Since the seizures are under control and the meds don't interfere with the other meds that I take for my Colitis, I chose to stick with this rather than risk other problems.

Randy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Diagnosed with epilepsy and ulcerative colitis in 1979,
Been on meds ever since.

275mg-dilantin/day
120mg-pheonobarb/day
3,000mg-Mesasol/day

side effects

I guess you have three choices:
Do nothing and let the med eat you up alive,
Go for a second opionion
Check out alternative medicine Drs and see what they have to say.

I was ignorant and their wasn't a computer to complain about the meds to anyone. SO I let the meds eat me up alive. It was no picnic. Thank God for accupuncture and natupathy.

Wishing you the best of luck

Positive Person

Back
Top Bottom