Musical "emotions"............

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I put this here because I really do not know if it fits the bounds of the auditorium, but, if Speber fills it is so, please move it there.

Anyway, I really do not know how to go about describing this, does anyone have ...........well, "floating" feelings when listening to certain music. By "floating", I do not mean lighter than air or water or any sort thing along that line but instead emotions that change as not expected. I really do know how to describe this.

My thing is, and it is what music so special to me, is that many times, not all of the time, but many times, I will sit at my computer to play a slow game of solitaire, or something along that line and just happen to pick some songs, for no real reasons, that have nothing to do with how I am feeling. The catch is that they end up putting me into a deep "translike" state. And, I do not necessarily mean a good one. It has always been with me that the music picks me and not vice versa. I can be in an extremely excited, happy state and happen to pick a certain type of music (I have about 10 types categorized in my iTunes) and end up picking a category that may be extremely somber or extremely deep. It is not really the state described in the Auditorium but a very, very, very emotional state.

Once again, it is very, very hard to describe what I feel when it does happen. It is strange and I have always questioned whether other people have it too.

If this goes into the Auditorium, Speber, please put it there.

Thanks.

I'll try to describe it better. My memory improves greatly. I feel that things are extremely more powerful than when I am not in the state. Nothing can really affect me at the time. It is hard.

It is hard to describe.

I think this most DEFINITELY belongs in the Auditorium!....

Music has unexplained awesome power. You, TexasTravel, have very well described an example of this!

There are MANY neuroscientists and the like trying to determine just how this occurs. However, public awareness of this phenomenon is relatively unknown!

A broader feedback from the public could be a great tool in this research IMHO.

Speber
:rock:

PS. Texas Travel, I tried to move the thread as you suggested to the 'Auditorium' because of its relevance...but I believe it's setup for my polls or threads by admin only so I've moved it to the Library.

And again, for the record...information in Speber's Auditorium experiment will NEVER be sent to anyone....it is just my personal experiment approved graciously by Bernard to prove a theory. If I ever want to approach the scientific community I will start over on my own somewhere as CWE's policy is to disallow outside research.

Speber

Last edited:
Curiosity of Music...

I put this here because I really do not know if it fits the bounds of the auditorium, but, if Speber fills it is so, please move it there.

Anyway, I really do not know how to go about describing this, does anyone have ...........well, "floating" feelings when listening to certain music. By "floating", I do not mean lighter than air or water or any sort thing along that line but instead emotions that change as not expected. I really do know how to describe this.

My thing is, and it is what music so special to me, is that many times, not all of the time, but many times, I will sit at my computer to play a slow game of solitaire, or something along that line and just happen to pick some songs, for no real reasons, that have nothing to do with how I am feeling. The catch is that they end up putting me into a deep "translike" state. And, I do not necessarily mean a good one. It has always been with me that the music picks me and not vice versa. I can be in an extremely excited, happy state and happen to pick a certain type of music (I have about 10 types categorized in my iTunes) and end up picking a category that may be extremely somber or extremely deep. It is not really the state described in the Auditorium but a very, very, very emotional state.

Once again, it is very, very hard to describe what I feel when it does happen. It is strange and I have always questioned whether other people have it too.

If this goes into the Auditorium, Speber, please put it there.

Thanks.
TexasTravel: You bring up the visceral as it relates to music and I delighted in reading what you had to say. What you ask. Something to be "untangled" which I enjoy, causing me to ask myself the same questions.

One on the many things you mention is being in an extreemely happy state and then "pick" some deeper, somber music. I wonder if this has to do with a need for mentative balance. I timidly refer back to my drug experimenting days....Too high on cocaine, I'd pop a qualude to manage a "balance" in body/mind. (Those were the days at Studio 54.)

Music in a way is a "very" powerful drug. We, having Epilespy, especially, register it very sensitively. I think, it can put our emotions on the edge or lift them up and beyond the wildest imagination.

Untangling the "floating" feelings to certain music: I think I'd need to know if the music is known to you or just realized.

Hearing a new song, which I'm in the process of falling in love with, reaches my solar plexis area in a strange but wonderful way and I'm bound to get the CD.

Hearing a reaching familiar song I first get a "visual nostalgic flash" .I "think" but for just for an instant. Then quickly, the music predominates the visual and it does take me over. Now, this feeling is not limited to the solar plexis, as mentioned before. It reaches every part of my body in slight "waves". Is this close to your "floating" feeling? It has caught me.

Trance like state: This usually happens when I'm listening to alternative atmospheric music e.g. Julee Cruise (I'm always mentioning her). I instantly find myself lost in meditative state which she seems to have initiated and continues to do all the work, if that makes any sense.

Before, I was aware I had Epilepsy, I was at a rock concert - flashing lights everywhere. My companion reflects that I was as if in a deep trance. No doubt the flashing lights. I never go into a trance like state listenting to displeasing music but I suppose it's possible for some. I would be interested in knowing if others go into a trance listening to Metalica (just "my" idea of displeasing music)

Speber: I would be interested in knowing what area of the brain process the visuals, flashbacks when music is introduced?.

Last edited:
Music has been a VERY powerful thing to me since I was about 13 years old. I played drums for a while and have been to hundreds of concerts from Rush (many times), Iron Maiden (many times), Metallica (many times), Testament, Overkill, Motorhead, Malmsteen, ZZ Top, King Diamond, etc., some country, blues, etc. I have met many, many bands....all except Rush.......someday I hope to meet them.

Anyway, music, always being so special to me, has always been hard to explain to someone that does not feel the same way. You, Cinnabar, and Speber are some of the few that can relate. Music, to me, is not listening to something on the first level but actually feeling something in your nerves, soul and some sort of third world conciousness.

This is where music puts me, sometimes, when this feeling overtakes me. My wife can come up next to me and practically scream at me and all I see, if I see her, is her lips moving with no audible extent.

I have never done drugs, illegal ones that is, but this is how it must feel. It is not like being, what I been told, high is but, instead, an altered state of concious depth. Most of the time, it makes me very somber...not depressed, just somber. Come to think of it, it is when my memory works the best. My mind is not racing as it usually does.

I cannot control when this happens but it is something that is definitely not unnoticable.

I just wonder, how do other people feel when something like this happens? Can you "snap" out of it? How long does it take you to get to this state? Can it happen any time or do you have to be in a certain place?

One interesting this is that when I try to describe this to an neurologist they just think it is my drugs, or something, but I can attest to the fact that that is not it at all. I wonder if neurologist are taught about this type of stuff? I do not think so.

The music is almost always known to me, to varying degrees though.

Sometimes it is something powerful like Rush/Middletown Dreams or slow like something Sheryl Crow would do. Sometimes it is Stevie Ray Vaughn and then others it is Malmsteen. Or, sometimes it is Boston and then others it could be DiMeola. It could be the Cars or even Isaak or maybe Satriani/Johnson. Or it could be Trans-Siberian Orchestra or maybe Orbison. It can be almost anything.

Man!......you guys got me all 'tingly'!........

.....I'm off to listen to some tunes!

TexasTravel

Music has been a VERY powerful thing to me since I was about 13 years old. I played drums for a while and have been to hundreds of concerts from Rush (many times), Iron Maiden (many times), Metallica (many times), Testament, Overkill, Motorhead, Malmsteen, ZZ Top, King Diamond, etc., some country, blues, etc. I have met many, many bands....all except Rush.......someday I hope to meet them.

Anyway, music, always being so special to me, has always been hard to explain to someone that does not feel the same way. You, Cinnabar, and Speber are some of the few that can relate. Music, to me, is not listening to something on the first level but actually feeling something in your nerves, soul and some sort of third world conciousness.

This is where music puts me, sometimes, when this feeling overtakes me. My wife can come up next to me and practically scream at me and all I see, if I see her, is her lips moving with no audible extent.

I have never done drugs, illegal ones that is, but this is how it must feel. It is not like being, what I been told, high is but, instead, an altered state of concious depth. Most of the time, it makes me very somber...not depressed, just somber. Come to think of it, it is when my memory works the best. My mind is not racing as it usually does.

I cannot control when this happens but it is something that is definitely not unnoticable.

I just wonder, how do other people feel when something like this happens? Can you "snap" out of it? How long does it take you to get to this state? Can it happen any time or do you have to be in a certain place?

One interesting this is that when I try to describe this to an neurologist they just think it is my drugs, or something, but I can attest to the fact that that is not it at all. I wonder if neurologist are taught about this type of stuff? I do not think so.

The music is almost always known to me, to varying degrees though.

Sometimes it is something powerful like Rush/Middletown Dreams or slow like something Sheryl Crow would do. Sometimes it is Stevie Ray Vaughn and then others it is Malmsteen. Or, sometimes it is Boston and then others it could be DiMeola. It could be the Cars or even Isaak or maybe Satriani/Johnson. Or it could be Trans-Siberian Orchestra or maybe Orbison. It can be almost anything.
When I was ten I was listening to Joan Baez, Peter Paul and Mary (didn't get "puff the magic dragon"!) and Bob Dylan while my little peers were listening to the Beatles, Beach Boys and such. I didn't do much writing then, save a journal. As a creative writer, now, I can see why I was drawn to "story telling" music so early on. I didn't know I was a liberal, so caught up in the mavaric lyrics. I didn't know that vocals could be music.

Now, I listen to alternative rock: Nancy Griffith (the slightest bit of country twang), John Prine, Paula Cole, etc. Then old blues like Betsy Smith. My range is actually wider than alternative rock when I come to think of it. Classical, especially, baroque, is very appealing but forget the likes of the Third World Symphony (and leave it to me to share my dislike of Metalica whereas you like it!)

That we all have different tastes in music is of no matter. We all have a different ear, soul and even life experiences which lead us to our genras of choice. Again, your question: do we choose them or do they choose us? On a phylosphical note, I wish I had the answer. It's certainly worth exploring and I'm interested in what others have to say. Simple? Maybe it's just about being in the middle. We are at the mercy of music. The music is at the mercy of us. Depends which side of the bed we wake up on...

Your idea of music as being a third world conciousness is something I think I can understand. A dimension of it's own, filling the gap between flatland and nirvana (which is beyond our comprehension) Yes. A kind of Twilight Zone. (But, I don't think that the Twilight Zone had any background music! Kidding!)

You mention experiencing the absence of your wife, for example, while in the zone. I similarily react (don't react) to other's intrusion when illustrating. I'm in a meditative state, imagining what you experience when listening to your music. However, when I'm writing and my companion enters my space to tell me something or if the phone rings, I nearly jolt out of my seat. My agitation is monumental. A different interior world. Hum. Music? I don't have to be in charge. "Listening" to art allows me to "look" inside where I find places that I didn't know existed. Kind of like looking at a fine painting and saying "Hey, I never noticed that stroke there before". My intensity of reaction depends on what kind of music I'm listening to. Music evokes so much emotion that sometimes I forget than I'm physical. When I'm reading I can only have classical in the "faint background" of my mind. Any other type of music confuses me during these times. When I need to concentrate on a book I need complete silence or tame wordless music in my space (I "can" listen to about much of anything when reading a silly magazine . No real cerebral activity is required... so I guess that means I'm not really concentrating on either and my alpha waves are flat!!!)

Creative writing is very musical. You are the composer (and more) and if you're any good you need to carefully alternate the low notes, middle notes and the high notes in the story. It goes beyond simply "weaving" as many writers like to describe ...the degrees of stretching, the snaps, the surprises, as with music, require technical skill and, of course, a good, honest inner ear.

I wonder if musicians feel this way? When I write I get to be many people with important roles. I get to be the writer, producer, editor, actor, stage hand, managing scenery and last but not least get to and must consider my audiance. No, spewing, on silent reader, silent listener or live audience. Coming from a "personal place", only, sets the stage for dismissing people who could otherwise be fans.

Cinnabar

Last edited:
I totally agree with most of what you say, Cinnabar, with the exception of "art" and creative writing.

As far as writing in general, I have always been good at literature and proper writing. I have been complemented by literature teachers and newspaper editors but as far as the thought behind it, it is not my thing. I do,completly, understand what you are saying though.

As far as "art", meaning popular painting such as Van Gogh, etc., I am not much on that either. I can pace through a museum and never feel a thing. It is not because I could not really understand it but, instead, because EXTREMELY few artists are "outside of the bounds" IMHO. Art, to me, is mostly bland, stereotypical stuff. This is MY opinion, of course. For those that enjoy the well known art, great, but it is not my stuff.

Now, with that said, I have had paintings done on a level that are deep and meaningful to me. I had one done by a local artist that has had stuff shown all over the US. First, I sat down the lady, for about an hour, and explained the whole feeling and thought behind my idea. Next, she took a few weeks before starting the painting itself and thought deeply about it and how to envision and paint it. After that, each week I would stop by her studio and see how it was going and make suggestions and answer any questions that she had. It took her quite a while, about 9 months, to finish but when she did, I felt very connected with the painting.

My wife does not let me display it in our house as everyone else misunderstands it and thinks it is very depressing, weird and says weird things about me. That is the difference in my thoughts and most others.

Art is not bad, it is just not for me, as a whole. I do have a pretty imaginative mind but very few would understand so I really do not express it.

Lastly, metal and avante garde are not my only tastes in music but, once again, I have never been for the average, typical types of music. I like music that is not popular. I like music that is on a cutting edge. I do not like 4/4, 2/4 or any of what I call "straight line" music. I do not like music that you can tap your foot to and keep the beat with all the way through the song. There are a few exceptions, of course. I like music that you have to think about. Anyway, that is the best way that I can describe it.

So, that is part of what makes music such a personal thing for me. It is not the only thing but an important factor, none the less.

Last edited:
At first, the end...

I totally agree with most of what you say, Cinnabar, with the exception of "art" and creative writing.

As far as writing in general, I have always been good at literature and proper writing. I have been complemented by literature teachers and newspaper editors but as far as the thought behind it, it is not my thing. I do,completly, understand what you are saying though.

As far as "art", meaning popular painting such as Van Gogh, etc., I am not much on that either. I can pace through a museum and never feel a thing. It is not because I could not really understand it but, instead, because EXTREMELY few artists are "outside of the bounds" IMHO. Art, to me, is mostly bland, stereotypical stuff. This is MY opinion, of course. For those that enjoy the well known art, great, but it is not my stuff.

Now, with that said, I have had paintings done on a level that are deep and meaningful to me. I had one done by a local artist that has had stuff shown all over the US. First, I sat down the lady, for about an hour, and explained the whole feeling and thought behind my idea. Next, she took a few weeks before starting the painting itself and thought deeply about it and how to envision and paint it. After that, each week I would stop by her studio and see how it was going and make suggestions and answer any questions that she had. It took her quite a while, about 9 months, to finish but when she did, I felt very connected with the painting.

My wife does not let me display it in our house as everyone else misunderstands it and thinks it is very depressing, weird and says weird things about me. That is the difference in my thoughts and most others.

Art is not bad, it is just not for me, as a whole. I do have a pretty imaginative mind but very few would understand so I really do not express it.

Lastly, metal and avante garde are not my only tastes in music but, once again, I have never been for the average, typical types of music. I like music that is not popular. I like music that is on a cutting edge. I do not like 4/4, 2/4 or any of what I call "straight line" music. I do not like music that you can tap your foot to and keep the beat with all the way through the song. There are a few exceptions, of course. I like music that you have to think about. Anyway, that is the best way that I can describe it.

So, that is part of what makes music such a personal thing for me. It is not the only thing but an important factor, none the less.
"I like music that you have to think about." Now, I wonder if you mean 'thinking' about composition, instrumentals, lyrics? For example (going classical) Erik Satie, his simplicity, pure compositions were not well accepted by the general public. I like the unaccepted. When first listening to "Six Gnossiennes" I thought about it's composition. All pulled together I thought of spring's tentative awakening. Then way on the other side of the spectrum...Lou Reed's Romeo and Juliet". I'm caught inbetween the notion of melodrama or comedy. Is he taking himself seriously? Or just spoffing. So I think about such. As a writer, I love when he sings, for instance, "I'll take Manhattan in a Garbage bag". Reminds me of something I wrote during a bi-polar high ... "Manhattan was just an appetizer"...I was hungry to gobble up life. About instrumentals I just react. No thinking here. My ear is either tuned in or tuned out. Not very sophisticated. But I think I could learn.

I loved hearing the story about your discussions and connection over the nine months with this new artist friend of yours and how you brought the intellectual into her process. I think, on some level, this piece must be equally your own. I hope you think so because it sounds like you merged thought and brush for her. I have a fine rendering skill. (Rendering is really just a nice way of saying that I'm an expert copy cat.) Only one of my many pieces I've hung in my home. And there is a story behind that. But, like yourself, I'm drawn in, especially, by what some people might call "off the wall" art. I think of your wife saying "Off the wall"!. If you've not heard of "Outsiders Art' you will probably be interested in exploring it. It used to be called "Art Brut" by a French artist who had a fascination for artwork of artists who have been isolated from society. Without constraints of society, cultural influence, they were able to reach deep inside themselves. The works are certainly outside the conventional, even the convential which tips to the side. They are "deep, meaningful" and often times disturbing. I become curious about "very odd". Especialy, when it comes to the complexity of the strange mind even though I'm well aquainted my own! This genre of art has become trendy, now. Going for very high prices in gallerys and purchases are made from collectors of the diverse. Almost exculsivily these paintings are created by people with bi-polar disorder, schizophrenics, depressives and even epileptics. My aunt who is bi-polar is a most magnificent Outsider artist and reaps a good income from collectors. She' as mad as a hatter! But with such a gift. I was a muse for one of her paintings. A thoughtful woman in a long red dress. I'm a bit angry with her because she sold it to someone who was willing to pay a great deal for it and it's now on someone's wall in Ct. Now, I'm waiting for a duplicate. Afterall, I "was" her muse! I'll have to settle for second best. Nothing like the original.

Re: Ousider Art you could do a search "Outsider Art" for more background and "Outsider Art Paintings". You'll be amazed at what you'll see, think and feel.

P.S. I have no interest in Van Gogh's paintings, either. Just the man behind them. I've read his "Letters to Theo". Theo, his brother. What a sadly interesting human being.

Cinnabar

Last edited:
I spend a lot of time listening to music, the type that I listen too doesn't always depend on my mood as the music can often put me into a different mood.

Over the years I seem to have developed a catalogue of songs that have various sentimental meanings to me ie. when I visited Florida for the first time I was 11 years old, Rod Stewart was number one in the charts with 'Downtown Train', ever since that trip I have been a huge Rod fan. Another example is Bob Marley's 'One Love' we welcomed in the new year in Jamaica with this song. I am a huge Stiff Little Fingers fan, but there is one song I won't listen to 'Doesn't Make it Alright' as this song reminds me of my ex BF and I don't want to waste my time thinking about him.

Music has a powerful way of sending me instantly back to a meaningful situation.

Sending you back there...

I spend a lot of time listening to music, the type that I listen too doesn't always depend on my mood as the music can often put me into a different mood.

Over the years I seem to have developed a catalogue of songs that have various sentimental meanings to me ie. when I visited Florida for the first time I was 11 years old, Rod Stewart was number one in the charts with 'Downtown Train', ever since that trip I have been a huge Rod fan. Another example is Bob Marley's 'One Love' we welcomed in the new year in Jamaica with this song. I am a huge Stiff Little Fingers fan, but there is one song I won't listen to 'Doesn't Make it Alright' as this song reminds me of my ex BF and I don't want to waste my time thinking about him.

Music has a powerful way of sending me instantly back to a meaningful situation.
I know.If it's an unpleasant place, I'm away from it. Pleasing? I relish in it! Rod Stewart reminds me of an ex-husband! Rod's off my list...
Cinnabar

What I mean by "I like music that you have to think about." is in many ways. Both technic, types of instruments and the thoughts behind the lyrics are all methods that can affect me....not necessarily at the same time though.

If I am listening to Rush, it is usually the tempo and instruments which is rarely 4/4. Or I could be listening to DiMeola the same way. I was never a great drummer but I do know the thought and technic behind it. It is partially because of my E that my mind would get too tangled up if I actually tried to do it. I do have GREAT respect for those who can. Classical music is good also if it is not same old same old stuff.

Your statement about the bi-polar high is interesting also. I went through a state of deep depression when I was in my teens and attempted suicide twice. I connect to some music because of my feelings then also.

I do think some art is interesting....like Bernards' stuff. I feel the same way about "the unpleasant stuff" also.

I'll have to check out "the Outsider Art" paintings.

So, it's music you have to think about in terms of techniques, types of instruments and thoughts behind the lyrics. Got ya. I think about music in a different way because I'm not a musician. Just an appreciator.

I think there is a lot of inner tragedy that goes on with many artists. Kirk Cubane for example. I, too, attempted suicide in my early teens. This often happens before bi-polar manifests itself in late teens or early twenties. For some strange reason music around that early time period doesn't disturb me...but it certainly doesn't make me want to dance! Let me know what you think about Outsider art.
Cinnabar

Last edited:
May I jump in here?
I have to "listen" to music that is on. Doesn't matter what genre. I never have "background" music going on. If there is music, I am paying attention fully to it. If there are lyrics, I am taking them in. If it is instrumental, my mind is recording every note.

Does anyone else have the ability to listen to a brand new piece of music and know what note or what phrase is coming next? Or does anyone, after not hearing a particular piece of music in four or five years, upon hearing it, can recite the entire piece as it plays? I am talking here about instrumental music, not songs.

I, like Cinnabar, am not a musician. I too am an appreciator(is that a word)of music. It just seems extreme to me.

An interesting question

May I jump in here?
I have to "listen" to music that is on. Doesn't matter what genre. I never have "background" music going on. If there is music, I am paying attention fully to it. If there are lyrics, I am taking them in. If it is instrumental, my mind is recording every note.

Does anyone else have the ability to listen to a brand new piece of music and know what note or what phrase is coming next? Or does anyone, after not hearing a particular piece of music in four or five years, upon hearing it, can recite the entire piece as it plays? I am talking here about instrumental music, not songs.

I, like Cinnabar, am not a musician. I too am an appreciator(is that a word)of ingmusic. It just seems extreme to me.
Having not heard an instrumental piece played in years, can one recite the entire piece as it plays? I wouldn't know but it's a very good point to put out here....Yes. "appreciator" is a noun. I'm not clear what you mean when you say "It just seems extreem to me". I'm not clear about the context.

Cinnabar

Cinnabar,
When I talked about "extreme," I was referring to my ability to remember music, even pieces I have not heard for years. I got out a cd the other day that I had not listened to in over 5 years. Not only could I recite the music as it played, I also "knew" and could recite the opening phrase of each subsequent track on the cd. Somehow, I don't think this is "normal." But then, what about me is?

The "extreme" that I refer to also refers to the fact that I am not a trained musician. I would expect a trained musician to have this ability to predict phrasing in music they've never heard. I would expect a trained musician to have this memory of music heard long ago. I do not expect it of myself. As I have said, I appreciate music; I do not play music except through playing cd's.

I think that maybe the ability to "intuit" the next note or phrase in a piece of new music I'm listening to may have something to do with perhaps an innate understanding of the way music "is" or operates within itself. Has to be that, because I have never had any formal music training except for the semester in college where I had to learn the fundamentals(very basic only)of music to be able to play simple tunes on the piano. It was a class required for all elementary teaching majors. May I say that I did not do well in this class; as I recall, I got a "pity grade" of C so my grade average wouldn't go down the tubes.

I remember as a child under age 6 having a record player with a few kiddie records. As I grew older, I would get LP records as gifts. I have always loved music, but never learned to play it.

Last edited:
Cinnabar,
Thanks for the note on the word "appreciator." I typed it, looked at, thought about it and said to myself "Did I just invent a word?" It didn't help that the computer was flagging it for me too. I just hate it when I invent words!

Yes, my memory of music is the same way. It is one aspect that I was talking about. The music that affects me does so deeply. I can be away from that music for years and years and hear the song or melody 10 or 15 years later and it comes back to me like it was 5 minutes ago. And, it affects me the same way.

The music usually has to be something that I can "connect" with though which is why classical, etc. do not do it that much. I do like some classical, etc. but that special connection is not there.

And yes, cinnabar, the history of the band or person(s) can have something to do with it also. The lyrics also have affects but when I think of the lyrics, I usually think of the way that the band is affected, not myself.

But, back to my original premise, when I get really focused on the music, there is not really much "thought" just a deep zoning out and like being in another world kind of like being on drugs only not having to take them. (I will assume that as I have never done illegals)

Oh, and to stress once again, my memory improves GREATLY! That is one of the things that I have never been able to figure out. It is sort of like being in hypnosis.

Texas Travel,
Are you talking about that happening primarily with songs with lyrics or with instrumentals like classical, jazz or elevator music. It's the instrumentals that I have the strange recall for. I can understand remembering the words to a song that you haven't heard in years; that kind of reminds me of memorizing a soliloquy from Shakespeare in high school and remembering parts of it still today(I'm 60). But to remember instrumentals and particularly remembering the "What track comes next?" without having played the cd in years really has me wondering what the heck is at work.

Back
Top Bottom