[Recommended] My Degeneration

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Nakamova

Super Moderator / Thank You Queen
Reaction score
"My Degeneration" is a memoir about Parkinson's, so I know it is a bit off-topic for folks on this forum. But it has a lot to offer anyone who is suffering from a chronic disease or who is taking care of someone with a chronic disease. The sections about the frustrations presented by doctors and medications and side effects all hit home, and of course at its core it's a story about how we struggle to cope with a mysterious illness of the brain.

It's in the form a graphic novel/memoir, beautifully illustrated and wittily written. And -- full disclosure -- it's by my cousin, who worked for many years as an editorial cartoonist in Alaska before Parkinson's derailed his career. But I would happily recommend it even if I had no connection whatsoever to the author.

It's available on Amazon:

Amazon product

and directly from the publisher, Penn State Press:
http://www.psupress.org/books/titles/9780271071022.html

Last edited by a moderator:
This site contains affiliate links for which Coping With Epilepsy Forums may be compensated.
Thank you Nakamova. As most people on the forum know that I have Parkinson's Disease. I am sleeping more and more.

There is no forum for us patients that I could find. The forum's are only for the caregiver's.

I will ask my hubby if I can buy the book. It sounds interesting.

Thanks Ruth! My cousin has a blog about Parkinson's, and is active in his local (Alaska) Parkinson's group. I'll ask him if he knows of any good online forums.

Thank you Nakamova. I should have started an online forum for Parkinson's when I was first diagnosed.

Hi Nakamova & Ruth
I may have to order this book, sounds interesting. Ive been having issues with worsening tremors in my left hand for the past couple of years, although I am hoping at this point they may just be side effects of various medications. My wife & I find ourselves pretty much knee deep in medical issues these days. I think in technical terminology, together we are a damn mess.
Maybe I will see if my blushing bride will order this for Christmas. She hates it when i call her that.
Ruth I may p.m. you at some point, interested to hear what your initial symptoms were.
Hope yall are doing well & have a great holiday.
Thanks folks
Ed

Hey BA, I wish I were! But my drawing skills are relatively limited. My doodles tend to be abstract accretions of lines, shapes and patterns.

I think we have some talented artists among the CWE membership, based on what people post in their albums...

Back
Top Bottom