My insides are burning from the divalproex

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
What can I do to help with the stomach problems/heart burn from the divalproex? I'm taking it with food, I've cut back on my dosage. I'm trying an antacid with it.

If this burning keeps up, I won't be able to stay on it, I just don't get any sleep.

And have I noticed my appetite picking up already...guess the weight will start coming on.

Anybody heard about anyone having issues with hair thinning on this med.

Should I suggest trying another med to my doctor when I see her next week.

Help...no sleep whatsoever last night. Was in horrid pain.

Deb

In my opinion, any med that causes pain is not an exceptable med.

The other side effects you will have to decide if they are worth it.

Yes, sort of. My wife experienced tremendous hair loss while on Depakote (sodium valproate).

more threads on hair loss

I'm getting worried, especially now that I have an appointment next week to have my hair color done for my trip. Should I be????

I'm down to 500 mg/daily, so wonder if the lower dose will stop any hair loss. Man, my hair is fine enough as it is, let alone loosing it too.

I know the chemicals in the hair colour can be harsh, but mixed with the effects of valproic acid......???????????????????????

Deb

Last edited:
Ooooh,

well, now. I have to say that I've had the experience of being on this med, going thru the hair thinning problem (OY), AND that I agree with Robin, Skilly AND David. ONLY YOU can decide if you want to tolerate these side effects. But, you also need to let your doctor know what's going on...and be willing to undergo some possible testing.........

Back
Top Bottom