Myoclonic seizures, partial seizures, or something else?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

darcness

New
Reaction score
I made a post about this before but didn't get any replies so I figured I'd ask again. I've been doing some reading about different types of seizures and I think my wife may be having either myoclonic seizures or partial seizures.

Basically what happens, and this is fairly common (meaning almost every night) in the first 15-20 minutes of her falling asleep her body moves around quite a bit. Usually it's just her hands or feet, but sometimes it affects her arms and legs. Sometimes it's hardly noticeable, but other times it bothers me so much that I can't really sleep through it, although she has no problem doing so for the most part.

While it does taper off as she falls into deeper sleep, sometimes it goes on for longer then the usual 15 minutes or so.

In fact, just the other day even after awaking, the twitching of muscle continued, rather violently in her left arm/shoulder area.

I'm just confused what type of seizure could cause this. Can myoclonic jerks last for such a long period of time? Could a partial seizure last for such a long time? As far as I know, status can only occur with loss of consciousness. I've never heard of the term applied to a simple partial or myoclonic seizures.

I'm just very confused. Also, we've already contacted the neuro and have an appointment to ask him about it as well. I'm going to try to get it on video before we go so that I can show him as well.

Hey there. I am new here and am still learning myself. I do hope you get some answers soon about what your wife is going thru. How does she feel after her episodes?

Good luck-
Cathyann

How long do the episodes last?
Is she awake after it?
Sometime Jacksonian seizures can cause specific parts of a person's body to twitch or jerk, but it usually moves to other parts of the body in a "march".

Is she aware during them?
Complex partials, which I have, look like your awake but really your unconcious with your eyes open and some moving around. Sometimes I pick at things or rub my hands together almost as if I'm getting something off of them. I don't realize I'm doing that but friends and sister say so.
Anyways- write everything down so that when you go the neurologist, you can point things out or discuss weather is seizure related or something like restless leg syndrom or something related to the CNS other that seizures.

What other seizures does she have?
Is she on medications for any of them, and also does she take medications for something else? Sometimes side-effects or other medications can cause things similar.. Just some thought and questions.
Good idea about asking neuro about it. Its definately something that is distracting or giving her as well as you a hard time, should be loooked at soon.

Take care, be safe.
Crystal

How long do the episodes last?
Is she awake after it?
Sometime Jacksonian seizures can cause specific parts of a person's body to twitch or jerk, but it usually moves to other parts of the body in a "march".

Is she aware during them?
Complex partials, which I have, look like your awake but really your unconcious with your eyes open and some moving around. Sometimes I pick at things or rub my hands together almost as if I'm getting something off of them. I don't realize I'm doing that but friends and sister say so.
Anyways- write everything down so that when you go the neurologist, you can point things out or discuss weather is seizure related or something like restless leg syndrom or something related to the CNS other that seizures.

What other seizures does she have?
Is she on medications for any of them, and also does she take medications for something else? Sometimes side-effects or other medications can cause things similar.. Just some thought and questions.
Good idea about asking neuro about it. Its definately something that is distracting or giving her as well as you a hard time, should be loooked at soon.

Take care, be safe.
Crystal

Crystal,

Thanks for the answer. I'll do my best to answer all your questions.

She's perfectly alert and aware while the muscle twitches are happening, when she is awake. If she's having them in her sleep, I can wake her up and she's alert as well. They don't cause any kind of impaired cognition or other signs. Just the twitching.

They can last anywhere from a few minutes, up to 30 minutes. Also, they don't seem to start in one area, but rather just happen randomly in her legs, arms, hands, and feet.

She had only tonic-clonic seizures, 3 total before getting on Depakote. After getting on Depakote @ 500mg she had a complex partial. Since then they upped the Depakote to 1000mg and she's had no more seizures (that we know of) in almost 6 months. She also takes Lexapro for anxiety/depression.

Just bumping this back up a bit. Still looking for some answers. I'd like to get some more opinions before going to the neuro.

Several Options

I'm just very confused. Also, we've already contacted the neuro and have an appointment to ask him about it as well. I'm going to try to get it on video before we go so that I can show him as well.

If you have a web-cam - try to have it close to the person
as possible, just like when my Neurologist had me to have
Web-Cam Monitoring and one really early AM, nailed a perfect
seizure - not only was I up close, but it was so good that
one could see the start to finish (and timing it) and watch
the eyes and the whole works, all up close and nothing was
altered. It was the "perfect" recording. I've had Video EEG's
and the distance is just too far, but this one was like the
"Weather Channel's Perfect Storm". If you can capture it,
by all means do it and rip it, and use WMP (Windows Media
Player) and don't forget - crank up the sound as much as
possible, because sound is important too.

DO NOT BE SURPRISED if the Doctor then turns around and
wants several more captures (or recordings) - it isn't to
annoy the heck out of you, but rather, to see the repetition
and/or common pattern, which often can tell them where it
is coming from. While EEG's only covers the surface of the head,
the close up shot can really nail it down.

If you don't have a Web-Cam, but a Video - try to capture the
event as close as possible and if possible capture the face and
the eye area - for that area speaks also. If the party seizes
frequently, then you should have no problem capturing a little
bit of this and that, if necessary.

The Neurologist / Epileptologist would then be able to narrow down
the base and come to the conclusion and then may study the
tapes, and go from there - but don't jump into conclusions until
the Doctor confirms it.

Honestly, it

sounds like a combination of myoclonics, and yes, it IS possible to have more than one or two at a time. It could also be a form of the Jacksonian March that Crystal mentionend, but just not a completed version....however, I would be more apt to think that it's the myoclonics, but please keep in mind that I AM NOT a doctor....

So if they are are myoclonics, but don't cause her any real distress, because she sleeps through them are they something we should be overly concerned about? Since they aren't progressing, should we not worry about it?

Thing is, they don't really bother her in the slightest. They just keep me awake at night when we are laying down to sleep together. I think the combination of the worry (yes, I'm terrible about it) and the fact that she's jerking the bed about keeps me awake. So in essence they bother me more then her.

If they aren't causing any physical, emotional, or otherwise adverse affects to her, perhaps it's best to let her make the choice rather then the neuro or myself. Not saying I make the choice for her about any of this, but the doctor may want to add more meds, and she may not want/need that if they don't bother her.

Also I just thought about this as well... How come these type of seizures (if that's what they are) never showed up before? Could it just be another case of the seizures changing due to the medication?

Last edited:
Well, a lot

of people aren't too distressed about their myoclonics. However, even though it's not bothering her, these new seizures forms do need to be brought to the attention of the neuro--so that he/she can do their best to help you and your wife. Something's still going on inside, and her meds may need to be upped, or whatever.

It could be something like Restless Leg Syndrome, too, but I'm not sure. Do try to videotape her one night so that the doctor can get a better idea of what's going on.

Please understand, the more that seizures occur, the more the brain learns to KINDLE. Neurofeedback can help to undo that, but it will take some time. KINDLING, is perfectly explained by this link:

KINDLING

Hope this helps some.

Take care.

Meetz
:rock:

Thanks Meetz.

Ok, last question I promise.

Is it normal for anyone who has E to have these myoclonics? Or is it an indicative that she may have some other form of epilepsy? I don't want to get myself all scared about it, but I'm having trouble finding information about it. Does it mean she something like JME or the like? Or is it just a pretty normal progression for E to take?

Myoclonics ARE

another form of E. I have them..........I have four types of E. Tonic clonic, myoclonic, electrographic, and focal based in the left frontal lobe. My E has morphed, quite a bit in the last year. All of my seizures are nocturnal, but the last 2 forms of E were just found in the last 6 to 8 months. So yes, E can easily change.

Sometimes having myoclonics and tonic clonics together can be associated with JME (Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy), but that is usually diagnosed earlier in life....but it has been diagnosed late in life before, too. I don't know that much about it....you could try PM'ing Joan, she is the mother of 2 kids who do have it. One who's under complete control, and only has t/c's, the other who is close to control, and mainly has myoclonics, with a few t/c's thrown in if memory serves me correctly.

Don't be scared. E changes, no matter what we do. That's the normal way of things, we just have to learn to be flexible with it. It's going to be all right. Give me a holler if you need anything else......but I'm off to get ready for work now.

Take care.

Meetz
:rock:

Meetz you are such a God send. Seriously. I'm so glad you answered. I was having a bad patch for the past week or so worrying about my wife. I tend to do that. Sheesh. Sometimes I wish I could just turn off the worry switch off.

Thing is, it's all new to me so I don't know what to worry about and what not. Because of that I tend to fixate on things quite a bit. I'll definitely let the neuro know what's going on when we go in and see what he has to say.

Awwww, geez

Darcness. it's ok. Don't stress, that's what we're here for. *blushing*

Do make sure that you talk to the neuro--the only way they can really help you is when you make sure that there are open lines of communication.

As for stressing about the E.........well, it doesn't really do any good. So, just make sure that you learn as much as you possibly can about E, and things will work out for the best, I promise....:bigsmile:

Well I'm pretty convinced something is up with Tera's med levels. She's been having all kinds of issues this week.

Nausea, dizzyness, myoclonic jerks, and overall just not doing very well. She broke down today and cried which usually throws me for a loop, but I'm handling it pretty well. I honestly believe that something is up with her levels so we need to get them checked ASAP. She's going to call the neuro tomorrow and let them know what's going on because we need to get in to see him. Something is definitely not right.

I'm still hanging in there. Doing my best to be here for her, but not let it get me all freaked out. Having the doctors appointment coming up is helping me. I'll keep you all posted on what's going on.

Sounds like

a great plan, darcness. Has she had anything unusual to eat or drink that might have thrown things off? You might want to think back through the last few days to just make sure. Has she been really ill? Things like that can throw our med levels off, too. Pain in the arse, but it's true.

Remember, breathe deep, drink some herbal tea if you need to, and write in a journal, too, in order to relieve some of that stress. I guarantee ya it will help. And feel free to holler. Ya know where to find us.

Nothing out of the usual that she ate or drank that I know of.

The one thing that really concerns me is that her cycle was all messed up this month. She started, 2 days on, a week off, then back on again. I know that screwy cycles is a side effect of Depakote, but it's never done that to her before.

I just want to get to the neuro and get to the doc and talk to him about it. This whole thing has me so confused and scared.

Sometimes I feel like I'm losing MY mind. Anxiety really tires one out both mentally and physically.

I have juvenile Myoclonic epilepsy. I found out that I had epilepsy when I was in 6th grade. About maybe two years later I noticed I would jerk, usually when I woke up getting ready for school early in the morning, if I feel into a deep sleep and was woke up, or I was extremely tired. It would almost feel like I had terrets. The summer after freshman year I went to a neurologist. After four years of knowing I have epilepsy I finally found out exactly what it was and I was diagnosed with juvenile Myoclonic epilepsy. These episodes of jerking I learned could actually go into full blown seizures. I'm on medicine now that helps control the jerking. I've never had jerking before I go to bed, usually just if I wake up from a deep sleep or I'm extremely tired. When I jerk its only my hands and ocationally my arms and I drop whatever I have in my hands. I'm 16 and a sophomore so I'm not sure if I will ever outgrow this or not. Has your wife had an e.e.g.? How long has this been occurring(years/age)?

I was diagnosed with Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy w/Partial Complex Symptoms when I was 15...I remember the disoriented/anxious feelings in the morning after waking up hurrying to get ready for school...the actual experiences began when I was 13/14...I'd be walking and suddenly felt like someone kicked me in the back of the knee activating the reflex thus falling to the ground or stumbling I should say...that or trying to eat and suddenly food is all over me and/or all over the floor...embarrassing and confusing indeed...oddly enough the episodes seemed to calm down for a while until I turned 15 then I had my first full blown seizure/s out of nowhere...was prescribed Teg/retol at first but not effective...then Dep/akote...effective...I'm 29 now...been taking it ever since...seems to work for the most part but lately I've been feeling kind of "off" if that makes any sense...my neurologist suggested upping my dosage since I also apparently suffer from bipolar bear disorder but I'd rather not since I do not like feeling like a zombie and gaining unnecessary weight...instead I take a vitamin known as "NAC" (N-Acetyl Cysteine) which is known to help/treat bipolar bear disorder...schizo/phrenia...and many other things :eek:

Last edited:
Piracetam is prescribed as a cure for myclonic tics in Britain and Japan. Nowhere else to my knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom