Nasopharyngeal leads and partial seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Ravensong

Stalwart
Reaction score
Many years ago, I had an EEG using nasopharyngeal leads. Except for the EEG I had right after my first TC, it has been the only one to capture a lot of abnormal activity.

Since I started having partial seizures pretty regularly again, I asked my neurologist about the EEG with NP leads after he recommend I have a standard EEG. He said they don't use these anymore. I am seeing differently.

Anybody know if the NP leads are still used?

I think the current thinking is that while nasopharyngeal electrodes can be valuable, specially placed scalp electrodes, newer arrays, electronic filters, and better critical reading of the EEG may be just as accurate and less invasive. In addition, I believe that nasopharyngeal leads require a doctor for their placement, whereas the other techniques mentioned above may require an EEG tech only.

Since you already have been diagnosed with epilepsy, is there a particular reason that your neuro wants you to have another EEG? Are you considering surgery?

I started having olfactory seizures a year or so ago and they have only increased in frequency. I'm really reluctant to have the EEG, because my neurologist is of the opinion that if you're having seizures, your EEG will be abnormal.

Your neuro should know that if your EEG test doesn't show any abnormal activity, it just means that there is no epileptic activity in your brain at the time the test is being done (or that the activity is too transient/deep) -- it doesn't prove that you don't have epileptic activity in your brain at other times.

Maybe you should switch neuros?

Or better yet, find an epileptologist...

I saw an epileptologist. Someone who was on the board of the EF. He was horrible. Lied to me, didn't listen. Never returned my calls. Refused to allow me to have a scan where I work (a world-renowned imaging company) and made me go to the hospital he was affiliated with - it was 4x the cost and took me a couple of years to pay off.

No thanks.

Your neuro should know that if your EEG test doesn't show any abnormal activity, it just means that there is no epileptic activity in your brain at the time the test is being done (or that the activity is too transient/deep) -- it doesn't prove that you don't have epileptic activity in your brain at other times.

Maybe you should switch neuros?

Yeah, he should but he doesn't.

I have been through a bunch of neuros. I'm just tired of starting over.

Thanks anyway.

Back
Top Bottom