Need recipe for brownies on the modified atkins diet!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Justin

New
Reaction score
Hi I LOVE brownies and since I am now on the modified atkins diet I can't have them. Does anyone know of a recipe for brownies that would work for the modified atkins diet! I am craving them and I really need some! Please HELP!!!!!!:dontknow:

Thanks,
Justin:cowboy:
:e:

I've found when making stuff with cocoa powder, it helps to "cook" it a bit first which takes a lot of the bitterness away so you don't need to use as much sweetener - give it a blast in the micro with the butter / oil before mixing everything else.

Did you check out the recipes on the Matthews Friends main page?
The basic ketogenic recipes you can ajust to your individual Mod Atkins values (they will be easier to calculate on Atkins)

1. Check out the (classical keto) X mas recipies with (chocolate) coockies and cakes/muffins
http://site.matthewsfriends.org/uploads/images/ChristmasRecipes.pdf

2. There's a brownies recipe here http://site.matthewsfriends.org/index.php?page=basic-mct-recipes Instead of Liquigen (MCT keto diet) you can use butter.
(MCT keto) Chocolate Brownies
Liquigen
Self raising flour
Ground Almonds
Cocoa
Egg

From keto Yahoo http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ketogenic/:

3 Brownie 4:1 (classical keto)
40% Cream 5g
Hershey's Cocoa 1g
Whole Milk Ricotta 3.9g
Raw Egg 1g
MCT oil 1g
Ketocal 7g
Coconut Oil 3g

Melt Coconut Oil in microwave. Mix in all other ingredients plus
sweetener and a few drops of Bickford Flavour or vanilla. Bake them
in silicone baking cups (spritz with Canola oil.) Bake at 350
for about 15 minutes. Chill them in the fridge overnight before
serving.

4 Apple muffin (classical keto)
(393 calories per meal, included amounts just to give an idea where to start on the Ketocalculator)
13 g raw apple without skin
10 g almond flour
18 g raw egg white
9 g raw egg yolk
27 g butter

Whip egg whites until stiff. Melt butter and mix with egg yolk, and then add to egg whites and mix. Add almond flour, apples, sweetener, and Bickford flavor or vanilla. Bake at 325 for about 20 minutes. Use baking
cups which don't soak up any of the butter.

This recipe makes 3 little muffins. To get to the right ratio, maybe you could make only 1 or 2 muffins (cut down on the almond flour and apples) and then add sausage or bacon or something else with no/low carbs. Or use more butter and put some of that on top of the muffin(s).
Sweetener
Vanilla essence

Multiply ingredients by 10 and Mix all ingredients together – put in cake tin (swiss roll tin) and when cooked – divide into 10 equal portions.
Bake in a moderate oven approx 20 mins
May be frozen

5 Keto Bountybar
1g cocoa
15g coconut
20 ish g of creamed coconut (Barts creamed coconut good)
double cream
banana/ sweetner (according to preference)

(+ cheddar cheese crisps for extra protein)

"Tastes just like a melted mixed up bounty bar !"

6 Chocolate Bark
4 T. (1/4 Cup) Virgin Coconut Oil
1-1.5 T. Cocoa Powder
2 oz. nuts (optional)
1/4 t. low-carb sweetener, such as stevia

Melt the coconut oil to a liquid, add in cocoa powder and sweetener. Stir to combine and blend well.
Blend nuts into chocolate mixture. (optional)
Have chilled a metal bakeware lasagna or cake pan or pans in freezer for ten minutes or so. Remove from freezer and line with waxed paper. Then pour mixture into chilled pan and spread to desired thickness.
Pop it in refrigerator or freezer on level shelf and let it sit 10 minutes or so. It will harden quickly and breaks with a snap.

Here's an example made with sugar free plain bittersweet chocolate
attachment.php

Last edited:
Justin...since you are craving them, my guess is you want to be able to eat more than just one? Perhaps the solution is to make up brownie "bites" instead of full size bronies. It is similar to your muffin pan breakfast muffin /sandwhich solution only on a smaller scale. They make muffin pans with TINY slots in them. I will go thru some of my recipes as well and see how they can be modified. My assumption is you are trying to avoid artificial sweeteners too?

Last edited:
Here are some links to other recipes (not mine)

These have no flour or added sugar, only sugar is what is in the semi-sweet chocolate...you could use bittersweet or dark chocolate if you've gotten use to that taste. Only catch with these is they take overnight to set-up.

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Fabulous-Flourless-Fudge-Brownies-79965

THis is the best one I've seen...It comes from Elana's Pantry online and is Gluten free as well. Agave nectar is a natural sweetner...not quite as strong in flavor as honey, quite good in tea. Your fat comes from the almond butter. You can use any sea salt, it doesn't have to be celtic, lol.

Chocolate Chip Brownies
1 (16) ounce jar salted almond butter, smooth roasted
2 eggs
1 ¼ cups agave nectar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
½ cup cocoa powder
½ teaspoon celtic sea salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup dark chocolate 73%

1.In a large bowl, blend almond butter until smooth with a hand blender
2.Blend in eggs, then blend in agave and vanilla
3.Blend in cocoa, salt and baking soda, then fold in chocolate chips