neurofeedback -- we did it!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Blondie47

New
Reaction score
I was nervous -- oh boy -- but all went well today at our first session with neurofeedback! My DD was less than impressed, but she is 14 after all.

We will be doing 2 sessions per week all summer long. The technology is amazing.

I will keep you posted Taking things on week at a time --

Take Care all :e:

Good luck Blondie. Rebecca was 15 when she started it, and grew weary of it over time, but we did have a lot of faith in the therapy.
Please make sure her nutrition is at it's best ever, to support brain health.

Fantastic. Hope your DD gives it an honest chance (she's got to put some effort into it). Let us know how it goes!

Neurofeedback Update 4 sessions now

My DD, 14 has just had finished her fourth NFB session.

Her clinician said that she is doing well and scoring well past goals. They do 4 games on the right side of the brain, and 4 games on the left.

She is exhausted for several hours afterwards and sometimes this lasts into the next day -- just wants to sleep or do nothing. The clinician says that it is akin to a strenous physical workout.

Last week was our first time doing two sessions in a week -- and my dd slept for three hours after she got home! We will now continue with 2 sessions per week. The drive is easy - 10 minutes -can you believe the luck?

So far, that's the only noticeable changes to report. I am happy that we're are able to attend these sessions over the summer break -- hoping to do 20 or so before the start of school in September. :bigsmile:

Awesome. When it all clicks, and the practicing/work become second nature, it will seem like magic. :)

I don't remember Rebecca being particularly tired. I also don't believe Rebecca's therapy was always balanced, not one side over another. That is an interesting protocol, I look forward to hearing your positive results.

Robin- thanks-- I was going to ask you if you thought the sleepiness was normal.

After I posted this -- my DD, 14 took another 3 hour nap and was still tired
for the rest of the night. I am concerned.

The training lasts for 30-45 minutes and includes 4 games on the right and 4 games on the left.

Planning on calling the clinician today to report it and get her training adjusted.

Excessive tiredness after a session could be a sign that they are overdoing it. Talking to the clinician(s) is a good idea.

My son doesn't appear tired at all after the session. He sometimes sleeps on the car trip back, which is not that unusual since the ride is an hour and he sleeps on most car trips. When we get home, he's back to normal.

I remember Rebecca being asked if sleep patterns had changed at all. That way they could adjust it. Rebecca actually had the opposite happen, she said she had difficulty falling asleep.

All of this, on a daily journal, should be recorded by you. That way the practitioner can know how to adjust, and refine the therapy to benefit your child.

update

The sleepiness and exhaustion ended yesterday :) :woot:

DD awoke, ready to go go go -- finished up a religion project that was taking forever to complete, and with gutso said how easy it was -- what?!

Seeing subtle changes.

We are now calling the past few days of exhaustion the

"Neurofeedback Hangover" :roflmao:

WOW that's great! I'm seeing subtle changes too, with my son's attention. I had his QEEG results interpreted for me last week and they were not good :(. His pre-frontal cortex looks quite impaired. Actually, the doctor said his brain is very wound up, not dreamy like the typical ADHD brain. It seems that most of his inattention and impulsivity are due to anxiety and a possible sleep disorder.

Oh, and he saw some epileptic events which the medicine was controlling. This QEEG was done after we had only 1 neurofeedback session. I'm sure it's much better now. I'm noticing subtle changes, in that he's not a complete pest to his brother or other people in the family, but he's far from perfect as he still occassionally "finishes" an argument between himself and one other person at his summer camp and he still has a lot of childlike behaviors.

Keep us posted, both of you! It would be great if nfb had more and more success -- enough to become a mainstream mode of treatment.

I certainly will! My son will be going to his 11th session tomorrow night. I wish I could see more changes. I noticed he's still very distracted by things around him, but those little annoying things he does to other people seem to be going away (or else it's all in my head!).

Keeping a journal where you record things can help you track them more objectively over time.

One week without NFB & Sessions 5 & 6

Ok -
Seeing more changes.

We went a week without NFB, because the practioner broke her foot. DD had more seizures that week. Intense occipital that we had no answer for what could have triggered them, other than no NFB that week.

The practioner gave her two easier sessions. She also altered it, because DD was having a hard time falling asleep.

Outcome - vibrant DD, and yes seizures stopped!

Odd occurance- she brought out a sketch pad and drew for hours, saying how she couldn't believe how she could <draw now>. I have not seen her sketch in years.

Could closed doors be opening?

Take Care:e:

So sorry about your daughter's seizures, but I'm glad it suggests that the NFB is really making a difference. Thanks for updating us, it's really great to get a sense of how the NFB can help, and inspiring to hear how things are changing for the better for your daughter.

Fantastic that you are noticing results so soon. Oh how I wish it had been that easy for Stacy!

Back
Top Bottom