New again

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

malfeasant67

Pillar
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I joined this forum in Dec 2016, but haven't been active (busy job!) I would check back occasionally for valuable information and suggestions. I am going to try and be a little more active since there is strength in numbers! I am needing doctor, med, and diet suggestions....the whole shebang.

Have a great weekend. :)

Hi malfeasant67,

Welcome back it's good to see you again. My best advice for a Dr. is an Epileptologist which is a Dr. that specializes in epilepsy. I've had epilepsy for 46 yrs. and saw many different neuros but I got the most help from an epileptologist.
Start keeping track of your seizures write down on a calendar what time you had the seizure along with the type of seizure you had by doing this often the Dr. can see a pattern in the seizures and it may be hormone related or depending on your age if you are going through your change in life sometimes that can either increase or decrease the seizures.
As far as the diet stay away from NutraSweet because that can cause more electrical activity in the brain an in turn trigger seizures for some people. I found this out after drinking diet soda and having many more seizures.
To find out the best seizure med ask your Dr. to do a DNA test on you all they have to do is draw some blood and get some salvia from the inside of your mouth, all of that is sent to the lab and they can see the amount of enzymes in your liver along with our body chemistry and match that up to the best seizure med with the least side effect. When I had my DNA test done they found out I was drug resistant to all seizure meds out on the market now so my Dr. had my start using cbd oil (medical marijuana) and I was amazed at how that has reduced my seizures. Here's wishing you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

I do currently see an epileptologist, but he is very difficult to get into see (he also works at the college associated with the hospital.) I am very interested in cbd oil and other treatments! I have cut out quite a few sugars; I don't drink any soda and I only put unsweetened vanilla almond milk in my coffee. That DNA test sounds interesting......hmmmm. Thanks for that suggestion!!

Hello. I agree about keeping track of your seizures. I have simple & complex partials. I've told my family to note both the time/length & what I do during complex partials so that I can include them in my journal, since they occur w/o any aura.
Finding the right medication is the hardest thing--if you can use that DNA test, that's great. Unfortunately, I've tried nearly all of them & I still get breakthroughs.

Back
Top Bottom