[Research] New epilepsy treatment offers 'on demand' seizure suppression

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hmm. Interesting. Thanks for posting this, Cez.

(From the link above)

"First, we inject a modified virus into the area of the brain where seizures arise," explains Professor Dimitri Kullmann of the UCL Institute of Neurology, senior author of the research. "This virus instructs the brain cells to make a protein that is activated by CNO (clozapine-N-oxide), a compound that can be taken as a pill. The activated protein then suppresses the over-excitable brain cells that trigger seizures, but only in the presence of CNO."

This might be a great alternative to surgery for people who have refractory and severe seizure disorders.

I would like to know a whole lot more about this however before having any modified viruses injected into my brain.

This is the way a new cancer treatment works to target particularly aggressive tumors in the brain. A polio virus is modified (so it can't duplicate) and the part that is taken out is replaced with a simple cold virus. When injected into the cancerous tumor, the modified (polio) virus activates one's immune system to attack the polio virus, which has invaded the cancer. Inflammation, however, can be a deadly side effect. This treatment is being fast-tracked at last report because of its effectiveness. (Aired on 60 Minutes.) The polio virus is particularly effective in binding to the particularly type of cancer, which can be terminal in weeks to months because of its very fast growth rate.

Needless to say, I found it fascinating.

Last edited:
This might be a great alternative to surgery for people who have refractory and severe seizure disorders.

The key words here are "might be". I am one of those with a refractory seizure disorder and already have been thru H#)) and back with multiple treatments and implants. The VNS is supposed to have 'on demand seizure suppression', too. That doesn't happen. If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is! Just sayin............

Sounds like it would only work for folks who get a warning before their seizures, and have an easily localized seizure focus. Still, IF it ends up working in humans, and IF there are no side effects, then it would be great to have one more tool in the treatment toolbox.

Back
Top Bottom