New Here with a ? about sleep anxiety.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ev-4u

New
Reaction score
Hello! I'm new here in this forum, I have had seizures for 32 yrs. now. Since I have been 3 yrs. old, I just want to ask if anyone has a phobia of sleeping alone? You see, I don't have trouble falling asleep, it's just the fact that my eyes always opens between 3:00 to 4:00a.m. Why I don't know except that when this happens, I get afraid to close my eyes again. All I know is that I will get small seizures that are back to back, and that it causes me to get emotionally disturbed, and scared. I always have to have someone sleep with me at night, because I have fear of the unknown. I can only say that it seemed to have started when I started lamictal over a month ago, does anyone have these same experiences? I'm tired of being afraid.

Sounds like you're having an anxiety/panic attack. I could be wrong. You need to let your doctor know what you're experiencing. Keep track of when it happens and what you're experiencing when this happens.

Hello! I'm new here in this forum, I have had seizures for 32 yrs. now. Since I have been 3 yrs. old,
Welcome to CWE - glad that you joined us
I will move this so that others can welcome you too

I just want to ask if anyone has a phobia of sleeping alone? You see, I don't have trouble falling asleep, it's just the fact that my eyes always opens between 3:00 to 4:00a.m. Why I don't know except that when this happens, I get afraid to close my eyes again. All I know is that I will get small seizures that are back to back, and that it causes me to get emotionally disturbed, and scared. I always have to have someone sleep with me at night, because I have fear of the unknown.

I can only say that it seemed to have started when I started lamictal over a month ago, does anyone have these same experiences? I'm tired of being afraid.

I would definitely talk with your doctor about this, as these AEDs are extremely powerful and can cause a variety of side effects.

Hi ev-4u, welcome to the forum. :hello:

I agree with Robin, if this is a new phenomenon related to your use of Lamictal, you definitely need to talk to the doc about it.

Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; fever; swollen glands; painful sores in or around your eyes or mouth; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat. This medication may cause severe or life-threatening skin rash, especially in children and in people who are allergic to other seizure medications. Serious skin rash may also be more likely to occur if you are taking lamotrigine together with valproic acid (Depakene) or divalproex (Depakote). Seek emergency medical attention if you have a fever, sore throat, swollen glands, and headache with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash.

If you have to stop taking lamotrigine because of a serious skin rash, you may not be able to take it again in the future.

Call your doctor at once if you have any new or worsening symptoms such as: mood or behavior changes, depression, anxiety, or if you feel agitated, hostile, restless, hyperactive (mentally or physically), or have thoughts about suicide or hurting yourself.

Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
  • the first sign of any skin rash;
  • fever, sore throat, and headache with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash;
  • chest pain;
  • pale skin, easy bruising or bleeding;
  • fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms; or
  • nausea, stomach pain, low fever, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).

Less serious side effects may include:
  • dizziness or drowsiness;
  • blurred vision;
  • nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, upset stomach;
  • headache;
  • lack of coordination;
  • weight loss;
  • sleep problems (insomnia), unusual dreams; or
  • runny or stuffy nose.

This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect.

Lamotrigine side effects

Back
Top Bottom