New here

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I am relatively new to the world of seizures. My daughter was 13 months old at the time...she had her first seizure which turned into many and a week in the hospital 2 separate times before her meds were where and what they needed to be. She was on Keppra, Trileptal, and Topamax. She has since been weaned off the Trileptal and Keppra. Topamax sprinkles is the only Med left and she has really came out of the fog she was in. She is now developing where she should be. We made it to 492 days without a seizure until today. We have been very lucky with her to this point. She wasn’t feeling the best yesterday and last night she developed a fever. I treated the fever because it was greater than 101. She laid down for a nap this morning and I heard a noise on her monitor, so I went into her room. She was having a seizure. It didn’t last but a minute which felt like an eternity and sent me back to when they started. I thought this morning that I could smell a sweetness to her breath. I recall smelling this before when she was having seizures in the beginning. I mentioned this to her neurologist when they started but he never validated or disregarded my question. So my question is...do others smell a difference in another’s breath prior to a seizure?

Hey Tammy, welcome to CWE!

Fruity breath can be a sign of Type 1 diabetes (which I assume has been ruled out with your daughter).

Maybe the fruity smell is related to her fever and associated dehdyration/dry mouth? Those can cause fruity breath.

Hi Tammy,

Welcome to CWE! Nakamova is correct it could possibly be type 1 diabetes but there have been times when a person has built up ketones in their body to help stop seizures and in turn that can sometimes give off a sweet or fruity scent of a persons breath.
I know when I get sick with a virus or a bad cold I always end up having seizures and a lot of that is do the either taking over the counter med which interacts with my seizure med or the virus is just throwing my body chemistry off which in turn will trigger a seizure. If your daughter temperature was to high this can also trigger seizures. Just be sure and get a calendar and write down what time she has a seizure and what type of seizure it was by doing this it will help the Dr. see a possible pattern in the seizures. I always have them the 3rd week of each month. Also a low pressure can sometimes trigger seizures for some people because the air is heavier and that in turn will effect the hormones which can sometimes lead to a seizure for some people. I wish you and your child the best of luck and May God Bless the Both of You!

Sue

Tammy -- I would add that it is great that you are closely observing your daughter and paying attention to anything that might be related to her seizures. Parents can notice patterns and trends in ways that doctors cannot. Don't be shy about asking the pediatric neurologist questions and pressing for answers -- even if they brush you off. The doctor is working for you, not the other way around, and good listening and communication should be part of their skill set.

Back
Top Bottom