New Member: Hi all! :)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Valerie

New
Reaction score
Hello there
I'm new to CWE. I'm an adult who has just recently starting having seizures again. It's been about 7 years since the last time I had any seizure activity, even without Rx. I'm post-traumatic epileptic, the result of head injury sustained in a car accident back in 1989. The first 2 seizures occurred in Feb n Mar 1990. That's when the diagnoses was made. I was put on Phenobarbital then switched over to Dilantin. Then my husband and I desired to start a family. Not wanting to chance any birth defects, I took myself off of all meds. I was fine- for about 7 years. Then after a late-party night with little sleep(but NO alcohol) and an early rise, I had a seizure. I had developed an allergic reaction to Dilantin, so I was put on Depakote ER. I was on that for a few years. I hated the absent-mindedness of being on meds! Not to mention the huge weight gain!! I went off of meds again around 2007. No problem. Until Sep 10, 2014. I do not desire to go back on meds. I'm trying the Ketogenic Diet. Any suggestions to make that diet more successful is greatly appreciated, especially since I'm having hard time staying "moderate" via urinalysis by Ketosticks. I'm also threatened by Diabetes. Recipes are greatly appreciated.
Thanks & may God bless you all. :)
~ Valerie

Hi Valerie, welcome to CWE!

Sorry to hear about the "relapses". I know that's tough. But congrats on being able to go med-free for long stretches.

The keto diet can be really tough -- usually it's used with kids rather than adults. If you're finding it difficult you might want to try the Modified Atkins Diet (MAD) instead to see if it helps. With either diet it's a good idea to consult with a dietitian.

A good site for recipes with the MAD can be found here: http://www.atkinsforseizures.com/

Best,
Nakamova

There's a website called 'Ketopia" that I find very helpful.
Also ketosticks are not that reliable once you have been in ketosis for a while. They work really well when you are first starting out but then, as your body gets better at burning the ketones for fuel instead of excreting them, the ketosticks become useless.
An accurate way to measure ketone levels is one of those monitors meant for diabetic people that measures both blood sugar and ketone levels. That is if you can put up with the finger poking.

Have you looked at the website or book by Nora Gedgaudas? Primal Mind, Primal Body.
Also Jimmy Moore's Livin' La Vida Locarb site is helpful.

Back
Top Bottom