New seizure . 13 year old son hides when this happened.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Janus

Veteran
Reaction score
I had gone almost a month since the least seizure in Feb. My son is with me 1/3 time, so on the only day of the week that he was spending night at my house. One hour after going to bed ( about 930). My girlfriend saw me jump out of bed and try to walk into a wall to exit room Honduras of door. Banging into wall awakes her. I drop and seize then. She holds me while yelling to my son sleeping in next room. Get up! Tighe! Call 911! As this is an ongoing seizure for more than 5 min. He does not move but to call his mom on his smartphone to come get him because he is scared. Well girlfriend gets to her phone . EMT ( all 6) show and seizure stops. Soon went to mom's and is scared to be worth me alone now. That hurts the most. He is over tonight. I talked to him last week about stepping up to the plate and helping when ANYONE has a seizure near him. I know it's really trauma to kids to see it. But my attitude; too bad! People live with family members with E everyday and don't run at the sound, sight of seizure. Am I to harsh on him ? Any response would help.

My hierodule lives m in me . Is a yoga teaching, Pet sitting and I go with her in the day's now. Doc wants to they me on depakote with lamotragine instead of keppra because oof major sudden side effects and still seizures. What should I do? I see depakote is poison and requires regular blood checks. I hate that. He mentioned a natural one too to look at. ( evisim?)

I don't think you are too harsh on your son, but you should allow him some time to feel comfortable with the idea of you or someone else seizing. Teens can sometimes overreact emotionally, but that doesn't discount what they are feeling. Be patient, don't try to force him. it's better if he can feel like it's a choice he gets to make.

I don't have any experience with Depakote, perhaps others will chime in. You could give it shot and if it doesn't work try something else. And ask your neuro for more info about other meds that you could try instead.

Sometimes seeing other people responding in a calm and rational manner to a seizure, and using proper seizure first aid, can teach others not to over react or panic to a seizure.

Family Members Reactions

Janus,
The fact that your son is scared is a problem that can definitely be solved.
The bigger question that you have to ask yourself is 'How is my relationship with my ex?'. If your ex is willing to be work with you and help you teach your son that being with you is NOT dangerous, you will be a lot better off than if she wants to use this fact(seizures) against you to try and make your son dislike you.
I had a mother who would run into a back room in the house and hide if I, when 11-14yo, would have a seizure when other people were at our house. I sure didn't get any type of support from her at any time while she was alive!
Seeing a seizure that is taking place, especially to a person close to you, can be a very scary thing to see. You have to give your son the time he needs to learn NOT to be scared of you and your seizures. Don't try to rush this because rushing him could very well lead to some type of resentment on his part and that is the LAST thing that you need, right now.
This will all take some time. You have to be willing to use that time in a way that is meant to help your son. He may not see the importance of what you are willing to do when you do it, but as he gets more mature he will be able to comprehend how much of an effort you put forward to try and help HIM at a time HE was having problems understanding everything that was going on around HIM! This will only show him how much you truly care for Him! :twocents:

ACsHuman

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom