New to this, looking for advice and help

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hello,

This past Tuesday I went for a lovely ride in an ambulance to the ER. I don't remember a thing except for bits of the ride and getting to the ER. I have never been officially diagnosed with epilepsy. But, this is my third time in dealing with an episode like this.

4 years ago I had my first seizure. A friend heard me flopping around on the floor and found me not breathing with blue lips and all. I don't remember this time. Scans and bloodwork were done. But nothing showed up that alterated the Dr's. I was told everyone gets 1 seizure per lifetime.

Almost exactly 1 year later I had another one. This time I was home alone. But when I came to, I quickly realized what had happened. I had the same groggy feeling and the red marks on my skin as the previous time. I must also note both of these times, I had been home sick. I had also taken NYquil the previous night and had the seizures around 11am or noon. So, we kind of thought the main ingrediants in Nyquil may be causing this (Doxylamine succinate and Dextromethorphan). Even the nerologist thought this as well.

Then two years later to this past Tuesday. I had not slept well the night before and took a sleep aid the previous night(Diphenhydramine). All next morning long while I was at work I felt kind of out of it. I contributed this to only getting about 5 hours of sleep. Next thing I know I'm at the ER and don't remember seizing or much of my ambulance ride.

MY question is do you think these drugs caused this? I'm going to be going for more extensive testing. But the worst thing of all is not being able to drive for 6 months now! Luckily I was able to figure out something with my fiancee to get me to work.

Also, would this count as a pre-exsisting condition? I was planning on getting married and using her insurance because mine for lack of a better word sucks.

Any info would be agreat help as I am new to all of this. Just trying to put my life back together.

Not everyone gets 1 seizure per lifetime, but some have a lower threshold. Nyquil can cause seizures in some folks and the ER docs as well as the neurologist should have told you about it. Here is more info from www.drugs.com:
http://www.drugs.com/sfx/nyquil-side-effects.html
NyQuil Liquid

All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome when using NyQuil Liquid:

Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; excitability; headache; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness or anxiety; trouble sleeping; upset stomach; vomiting; weakness.

Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using NyQuil Liquid:

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); difficulty urinating or inability to urinate; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; stomach pain; tremor; trouble sleeping; vision changes; yellowing of skin or eyes.

This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.

I would certainly connect the medication that you took with the seizure activity. What I learned is that we all have a seizure threshold. For some reason many here have a lowered threshold. I would say yours is teetering on the ledge. I would suggest you look at your lifestyle and diet. Improving both can help to raise the threshold.

We were also told that the medical community gives each person one seizure (or in our case two in a day were considered as one by a teaching hospital).

The main cause of my daughters seizures were due to nutrition and blood sugar levels. She has had 50+ tonic clonic seizures. After making nutritional changes we have now eliminated her seizures. She has not had one in more than a year, and is not taking any meds.

Thanks everyone for the responses. So do you think that both the Nyquil and the sleep aid (benedryl) were the cause all three times? In all three cases it happened the next day at around 11am or so. So 12 hours or more after I had taken nyquil or the sleep aid. Two of the times I was sick and this latest I probably slept like 4 hours.

So, I'm begining to think to that my body when it is stressed from sickness or fatigue, Lowers my threshold. Maybe it is time to kick bad eating habits and be very tough with myself as far as a diet goes.

Think nutrition instead of diet.

As far as the combination of illness and chemicals in over the counter drugs... no one would know for sure. You are the best at figuring it out since you know how your body feels before, during and after.

I know my oldest son's behavior changed dramatically when ill, and more aggressive when taking antihistamines. I know for a fact that they change neuro function.

Gotcha so make sure I'm getting all my nutrients. I also, just thought too. I in the past 6 months was put on Straterra to treat my ADD I was recently diagnosed with. Some quick research lead me to find seizures are a side effect as well.

I can't help but think more and more its time to live a cleaner lifestyle.

So, I'm begining to think to that my body when it is stressed from sickness or fatigue, Lowers my threshold.

When anyone's body is stressed, it can/does lower your seizure threshold. I have a cousin who never had a seizure in his life and after going through a rough divorce, went on a drinking binge. After he stopped drinking abruptly he, had two TC seizures within hours of each other. So any kind of foreign substance or added stress lowers the seizure threshold. Even anti-depressants can lower one's threshold.

Back
Top Bottom