New

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

JMcC4

New
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the forum. I joined because my 26 year old son has had epilepsy since age 6. He is controlled with carbatrol and keppra. However, when we changed to generic several years ago he had breakthrough seizures. As insurance has gotten progressively worse we have struggled to keep him on brand which controls his seizures. Now he is on his own insurance ACA and they will not cover brand. We received help with carbatrol but no luck with the Keppra. His bill is 1500 per month. We are looking at Canada but there is such a difference in prices we do not know which ones are legitimate brand products. He functions well has a job and drives so we really don't want to experiment. Does anyone have experience with Canadian Keppra?

Howdy! Make yourself at home. :)

I'm sorry, I have no experience with Canadian Keppra.

I know that many folks struggle with the generics because of the potential for them to contain less of the active ingredient than the brand. If that's the case for your son, is there a chance that he could try slightly higher doses of the generic than he's been accustomed to on the brand?

It can also help to transition from brand to generic as slowly as possible, with a long overlap period during which you split the dose between the brand and the generic versions.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom