newbie from Vancouver, Canada

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

klewlis

New
Reaction score
Hi All!

I've been trying to find people to talk to who have been through this, so I'm really glad I came across this forum.

It's all new to me.

I'm one of those people who never had health issues ever (except sleep difficulties). Then suddenly, at age 37:

Sept 23, 2015 - I had my first four partial seizures. At the time I didn't know that's what they were, just that I had a very strong, very strange, abnormal "deja vu" which made me say out loud, "weird". Then I had a crazy headache for the rest of the day. They continued multiple times per day over the following 10 days.

Oct 3, 15 - my first "bad" day. Four VERY strong partials, which made me dizzy and nauseated and tired. Also anxiety. I had googled and decided to go to the doctor, who put in an "urgent" referral to a neuro. She also requisitioned ECG and a bunch of blood tests (all came back normal except extremely low ferritin, so I started on iron supplements).

Nov 12, 15 - first meeting with the neuro. He requisitioned CT, MRI, EEG. All were done by the end of December. Thank God I live in Canada--it happened so quickly and didn't cost me a penny.

Jan 20, 16 - Second meeting with the neuro, where he told me all my tests came back clear and started me on Tegretol.

Mar 3, 16 - After far too many side effects (depression, fever, rash, etc.), I was taken off the Tegretol and started on Keppra.

Jun 2, 16 - I reported to the neuro that I thought the Keppra was helping a bit, but not completely. He decided to increase the dosage.

Jun 9, 16 - my first two generalized seizures. The first one happened at my office and landed me in the ER, and the second happened in the ER. Clearly the meds are not helping.

In general, I have felt as though the Keppra is helping the mild daily activity but not the strong ones, which come in clusters (and seem to be tied to my monthly cycle).

It's been almost two weeks since the hospital visit and my neuro hasn't even bothered to call me back, even though I've called there twice to ask what he wants me to do now that it's gone from partial to full. I thought that was a big deal but he apparently doesn't think it's important enough to talk to me about it. :/

I've been reading some of your other intros and can identify with all the feelings of frustration, sadness, helplessness, embarrassment. I am fortunate to have an incredibly awesome support network and yet I still feel lonely and sad and scared.

I have sooooo many questions and can't wait to read through more of your experiences and get your thoughts on everything. Thank you for being here.

~Holly

Last edited:
ps: I have a blog where I've been tracking everything. My brother-in-law suggested it so that I can document everything and maybe help anyone else going through the same. Am I allowed to post the link here? (it's ok if not, just thought some might find it helpful or interesting?)

Yes, I've read quite a bit about that. Mine are usually strongest/clustered during ovulation. A smaller peak around menatruation. It's not 100% consistent but enough to be a connection (my generalized ones also happened at ovulation).

I asked the neuro about this and he said it's definitely possible but he doesn't want to "mess with hormones unless we have to". Has anyone here had success with progesterone supplements?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes some people have had good results with progesterone (natural progesterone pills and or lozenges).

Welcome to CWE. I understand how you feel. I always had support from family and friends, but still felt alone and scared. I don't feel alone anymore since I started communicating with others online who have epilepsy.

I've been on Tegretol and Keppra for years. It can take time (trial and error) to find the best medication or combination of meds and dosage(s). So, you have to try and be patient with that process. It also can take time for your body to adjust to new medication.

Stress and lack of sleep are two of the biggest seizure triggers. So, it's very important to get a good night sleep and try not to get stressed out. It's important to have healthy stress release activities (e.g., exercise, meditation, yoga, etc.). Personally, listening to music or doing relaxation techniques helps me relax.

I would always have seizures during PMS and menstruation, but I would also get them at other times, as well. So, it's hard to say whether I had catamenial seizures. Now, I'm 48 and in perimenopause so my hormones are really crazy. But, I had epilepsy surgery last year so I only have auras now.

I was chronically sleep-deprived for 16 years and amazingly, last fall when they did all my blood work and put me on iron supplements, my sleep improved dramatically. This makes me wonder if I was iron-deficient for that whole 16 year period, and in that case, what impact did that have on my brain health?! Can't change the past but I am a bit annoyed that of the five doctors I consulted about my sleep issues, not one checked this. Anyway, such is life, can't change it now.

Stress is a tough one... The seizures make me stressed! Also I am self-employed. But aside from that, my life isn't overly stressful. My main stress-relief is running and unfortunately have been injured since August as well so I am struggling with that.

I've also started a very low dose of CBD oil, to see if it makes a difference in addition to my Keppra. It is the first week of that though so it's too early to know if it will help.

So many things to consider! :)

I know seizures are stressful and that it is difficult to not get stressed about them. It's something that we have to work at overcoming. My aura is intense fear which is really stressful. It can totally mess with my state of mind; especially when they come in clusters. But, I try to remain calm when it occurs and try to distract my mind from it by getting involved in something. Also, you have to try not to worry and think about the seizures and just live life. I'm not saying it's easy. But, getting stressed about the seizures can just make things worse. I went through undergrad and grad school as a single-mother living with epilepsy and raising a child with A.D.D. and learning disabilities who was very oppositional. That was stressful!!! So, I speak to you with life experience.

Good luck with the CBD oil.

Hi klewlis,

I wanted to add my welcome to the others. We have least one other CWE member in the Vancouver area, so you may be able to get information from her about good neurologists to consult, etc.

Like you, I was a healthy person who had seizures out of the blue relatively late in life (age 35). I'm also self-employed. :) My seizures are now fully-controlled by medication (Lamotrigine). Hopefully you will find the right treatment and the right doctor to get your health back on track.

If you haven't seen it already, here's a helpful CWE thread to check out:
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f22/proactive-prescription-epilepsy-1254/

Hi klewlis,
I We have least one other CWE member in the Vancouver area, so you may be able to get information from her about good neurologists to consult, etc.

Hi, Klewlis, and welcome to CWE. I suspect Nakamova is referring to me :) Sorry I didn't see your post before now but I have been out of town on holidays. I'm now back here in Vancouver but it is late for me as I have to be up very early tomorrow morning for work. However, I will post in this thread you have started tomorrow. Have a good night!

I've been trying to figure out why my seizures generalized when they did. What was the trigger? And I think it was the perfect storm of a whole bunch of things lowering my threshold:
- lack of sleep: that week was really busy at work and even though it was the good kind of busy, I wasn't sleeping well
- stress: again, the good kind but still stress
- hormones: my partials seem to peak around ovulation, and that was that week
- caffeine: due to lack of sleep and extra busy-ness, I had had more caffeine than usual that week
- time of day: my partials tend to happen more in late afternoon evening.

I feel like all those things came together at once and that's what possibly pushed me over the edge.

So I'm going to try to work on the parts of this that I can control... Reduce my caffeine consumption in general, improve sleep and relaxation as much as possible, etc. Maybe it will help prevent it from happening again....?

WHY Is the Treatment SO Different for Many People?

klewlis,
The thoughts that you are having are something that can be very hard to get answers to if you have a doctor that leaves their patients in limbo when it comes to keeping them up-to-date.
There can be various reasons for each thing that happened to you! This means that until your doctor takes the time to inform you about his/her findings you are NOT going to have any information to use to decide what changes you will make. When it comes to making changes a person has to be careful. Each person's E is different, so two people may make the same changes, but end up with totally different results! This is why it may take what feels like forever to find out what works the best for you!
You just can't expect to make some changes in your life and get the results that you want with the first change. The process that is used for figuring out what is the best treatment for an individual w/E is a 'trial and error' system. This is because no two people are going to be the same as far as their treatment is concerned! :twocents:

ACsHuman

I understand that, but I still think it will be beneficial to focus on the things I can control. Diet, sleep, stress... They are things that I can at least TRY to work on. I'm still taking my meds as prescribed but in the absence of further direction from the doctor that's all I can do for now.

klewlis,

It sounds like you have a good plan. You mentioned diet. I was told by my first neurologist that NutraSweet can be a seizure trigger for some people. Also, flashing lights can be a trigger for some people (including myself). I always avoid looking at emergency vehicle lights, for example.

Last edited:
klewlis,

It sounds like you have a good plan. You mentioned diet. I was told by my first neurologist that NutraSweet can be a seizure trigger for some people.

I don't consume nutrasweet (or any other artificial sweeteners) so that isn't an issue for me. I can definitely reduce caffeine, sugar, etc.

Hello, I'm not in the Vancouver area but am in British Columbia. Wynndel, BC near Creston, BC.

Back
Top Bottom