newbie to the site

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

kiwicas

New
Reaction score
hi all
Im a newbie to this site. and wanted to say hi and blessings from New Zealand. I am a 49 year old male I have been diagnosed with sleep Epilepsy after several major seizures upon waking up..
I have a win brother ( Identical )who has had general epilepsy for 10 years now.
Im currently on Lamotrigine 100mg x 2 a day and have been for 3 months
I would be interested to hear from others on this drug and its side effects.
Mine included tiredness, irritability, dizziness, apathy depression. to just list some.

thanks

kiwicas

Hi kiwicas, welcome to CWE!

I've been taking Lamotrigine for about 6 years now. The first few months it affected my sleep. I slept very restlessly and would have very vivid dreams. I would get low-grade but persistent headaches. Occasionally -- usually after a dose increase -- I would experience dizziness along the lines of "the spins" and mild but persistent headaches. But those side effects went away after about 2 to 3 months at a stable dose. (I'm currently at 175mg/day). I have also experienced a gradual blurring of my distance vision -- nothing debilitating, but since I had a perfect vision beforehand due to laser surgery, it's frustrating. No lasting mood problems though (in the first month I was a little "hyper" during the daytime, no doubt a carryover from the same side effect that was making me restless at night).

If Lamotrigine isn't working out for you, let your neuro know -- there are other meds to try that may be a better fit.

The link below will take you to CWE threads that discuss Lamictal (Lamotrigine):
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/tags/lamictal.html

Best,
Nakamova

Welcome to this site! I think you will find lots of support and understanding here. I am also on Lamotrigine. I have experienced very few side effects on this drug, especially in comparison to the other drugs I have been on. My side effects have included some sleepiness, very vivid dreams, a mood lift (all of which I actually welcomed), and severe myoclonic twitching at higher doses (which I did not). The latter was resolved by dropping back down to 200 mg. This med helped me get better control of partial seizures. Best of luck to you!

hey great to meet ya

hey great to meet ya
Its sounds like Lamotrigine is working well for you, which is great news. Are you taking a total of 200mg a day?, or 200 morning and night?. I seems everyone has different experiences with this drug, and mine is fairly negative.
I have been seizure free for 5 months, so theyre doing there job, however I would prefer not to take them, as I found the side effects very overwhelmimg
All the best with ya future
god bless

Kiwicas:cheers:

I'm taking 200 mg a day but only because that is my limit with the drug--I'm also taking 200 mg a day of Topamax, and don't have 100% control yet, so I may still go up on that. Finding the right med is certainly trial and error, and if the side effects don't work for you, at some point a change may be in order. It is however a blessing that you are seizure free--not everyone can achieve that. There was a time not that long ago I would have been willing to tolerate almost any side effect to be seizure free--but it's easy to say that when you are not, less so when you are.

Welcome kiwicas.

Seizures upon waking was the last hurdle to jump for me. Some great people here. You've already met some, and there are more from where they're from.

Back
Top Bottom