Nortriptyline

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
My Neurologist prescribed Nortriptyline for my vibrating foot so it would relax the nerves and turns out, it's an antidepressant. I know meds are prescribed all the time that's meant for one thing but also help other things. Just wondered if anyone's had experience with it.

It helps me to sleep but foot vibrates again when it wears off. lol He prescribed 25 MG pills to be taken one at bedtime for first week and then two at bedtime thereafter.

Says tell your doctor if you have history of seizures but he wouldn't prescribe it if he thought it would be dangerous. He is great about researching meds before prescribing. Just curious if anyone else takes it.

I have no experience of it but it does give a warning about seizures so I would be incline to wonder.

I took Nortriptyline years ago for depression. My neuropsychiatrist at the time told me that because it is a tricyclic, it is better for a person with E.

There are alot of epilepsy meds that are also pescribed for depression. I don't know why this is.

That's good to know Cint, thanks.

valeried, I read somewhere that depression can be linked to epilepsy so maybe E and depression sometimes go together. I know for me when I have aura's, although I don't feel depressed, it can mess with your emotions. Makes sense that antiseizure meds are prescribed for depression. Kind of like the venom of snakes is a part of the cure for snakebites. I don't know how it all works but it's fascinating

My Neurologist though prescribed this for the nerves in my foot that keeps vibrating. March 15th, he's going to do a test to determine if I have tarsal tunnel syndrome and go from there. Not sure what to expect for that.

I had a problem with shaking a few years ago.

The first time it happened I had something that you would have thought I was having a grand mal, without the seizure. My husband and I had a huge fight right before it started. Screaming and yelling at each other, the whole deal. I don't know if that's what could have brought it on?

My whole body was shaking like crazy but I knew everything that was going on. I could answer all the questions that everyone was asking even giving them more info about the question. I went to the ER but they said I didn't have a seizure.

After that for a few months an arm or leg, sometimes both, would shake. At first they might have shook for hours. During the next few months the length of the shaking and how bad the shaking was decreased until one day it just stopped. I haven't had it happen since.

It is worth a try see if it works! I like the what you said about the snake vemom. I hope it works for you. I know it can drive you crazy with the vibrating all the time I get that and can't sleep.

My doctor upped my dose today after seeing him to 3 a night, equaling 75 MG a night cause foot still vibrates. I posted what my diagnosis was in another post

Cint, did the Nortriptyline make you super sleepy and did it give you weird dreams? Since taking it, I sleep better and foot doesn't vibrate as much but also have weird dreams too.

I don't know if he'll change those meds after I see him on the 4th but for now it seems to work, at least for awhile.

Back
Top Bottom