Notes from a B6 Junkie

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

douglas

New
Reaction score
After reading a couple of posts on here regarding what is the correct and safe amount of B6 to take, I recently decided to try some adjustments.

A little background on my case, I take 500mg name brand Keppra 2 times per day to a whopping 1000mg daily. I am a 40 year old average 190 to 200lbs male.

I did notice a significant "change in personality" and looked for ways to deal with it.

After reading some things on-line and some of the information on these forum, I saw reference to information that vitamin B helps with the "personality changes" that my neuro warned me about when he started me on it.

I started beefing up my system with B6 and B12 vitamins daily about 3 or 4 months ago. I was taking 250mg of B6 and 1200mng of B12.

It seems that after a month of this, the vitamins were actually helping.

Then I saw posting on possible toxicity of too much B6 in the body.

So I started reducing the B6 to one 250mg tablet every 3 or 4 days.

And i noticed that the irritability, sever moodiness and keppra-rage came back.

So I increased it back to 250mg daily.

Just sharing my experiences in case it helps.

Anyways, in my particular case, it seems that the B6 & B12 does somehow help with some side effects of Keppra.

And p.s. -- No, I do not work for Jamerson or a Shoppers Drug Mart nor do I have no stocks in those companies. Actually I have no stocks period. I am too dumb for the stock market. :)

Last edited:
Hi douglas, thanks for the update, it's always good to hear when something helps mitigate medication side effects.

Just so you know, even 500mg day of B6 is considered a safe (though unusual) dosage. Anything over 1 grams is straying into the toxic area, and 2 grams is definitely unsafe. Of course individuals metabolize things differently, so it's always a good idea to check with your doctor before adding a supplement.

The average dose of B6 for members of the study often referenced here was 118mg/day. But their average Keppra dose was 313mg/day.

Glad to hear that the vitamin has been helpful for you. :mrt:

Hi douglas, thanks for the update, it's always good to hear when something helps mitigate medication side effects.

Just so you know, even 500mg day of B6 is considered a safe (though unusual) dosage. Anything over 1 grams is straying into the toxic area, and 2 grams is definitely unsafe. Of course individuals metabolize things differently, so it's always a good idea to check with your doctor before adding a supplement.

Thanks Nakamova. My docs and pharacists didnt say squat to me. i had to discover it for myself.

I am glad that you posted this. Because i was a post indicating 50mg was too high and was a little worried.

The average dose of B6 for members of the study often referenced here was 118mg/day. But their average Keppra dose was 313mg/day.

Glad to hear that the vitamin has been helpful for you. :mrt:

Thanks you the post and info. So looks like mine seems about right for a fat guy on 1000mg keppra per day. 250 to 300mg of B6 is a drop in a bucked for me. :)

Back
Top Bottom