On-line pharmacies? Anyone use them?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Timmaay

New
Reaction score
My son has been taking Ethosuximide for the past few years and it works perfectly, he's seizure free. Due to a lay-off (I'm now re-employed) and our wonderful healthcare system, my new provider, Blue Cross Blue Shield, refuses to cover the cost of his medication (pre-existing condition you see) until the government forces them to on 01/01/11 (new law goes into effect making it illegal to exclude pre-existing conditions on people under the age of 19). So I'm paying monthly premiums to BCBS while they cover nothing. So his meds are running out and Walgreens wants $197 for a one month supply (I used to pay $10 with health insurance before I lost my job). I see places like pharmacyescrow.com offering a 30 day supply (for him 200 pills) for $110.00. Ordering online scares me into having seizures... Has anyone on here had any experience (good or bad) buying meds on line? Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Thanks Eric, I AM a little unnerved by the on-line concept. I will likely just bite the bullet on his meds for Sept-Oct-Nov-Dec...who needs the $800 anyway? :twocents:

Ouch. I'm assuming you're in the US because of the insurance rules & how they're changing soon.

I'm in Canada & have heard of Americans organizing bus trips up here where they get a script then buy their meds which are much cheaper here. You would have to near the border though.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm in the US an hour west of Chicago, Canada is a bit of a drive for me. I guess I should be grateful that my son is covered as of January first and not June 23rd like me (12 months from when I signed up for health insurance). Paying premiums while getting no benefits really irks me, and this is the system so many Americans are fighting to preserve.

Well welcome to the site Tim. I'm a big blues fan so I've had fantasies of living near (or in) Chicago.

I think you should go to the "foyer" of this site & introduce yourself and let everyone here know more about your situation. It's a great way to get welcomed & I'm sure the American members will have a better understanding of your situation & the options available than I do. We just ask that you don't double post.

When You Can't Afford Medication Try this link. I know that its more USA directed than Canada (which is where I am) so check into that. Walgreens has a plan I think that will help you cover the cost of meds if needed,

Hi, and welcome!

I use an online pharmacy that is connected to my health insurance company, and it saves me about $800 a year. I don't get my anti-seizure meds there. I don't trust them for that.

My mom and dad used to use a canadian online pharmacy, and really liked it. They saved mega-bucks. I'm not sure what process they used - whether they had to go up there to get a prescription or what.

One of my friends bought a year's worth of her medications super cheap in Mexico, and I think that was a very bad idea. I also found them very very cheap in southeastern asia, which would have been an even worse idea.

A reason to be careful

A study by researchers at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh found that about one in three online searches for prescription drugs result in the searcher being unknowingly redirected to websites belonging to illegal online pharmacies. By manipulating the search engines, these illicit websites also have crowded out legitimate online pharmacies, making it harder for consumers to find them.

Illicit online pharmacies resort to hacking to gain customers

Back
Top Bottom