Partial Seizures

What type of PARTIAL Seizures do you have?

• Just Simple Partial Seizures (People may call them Auras)

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Just Complex Partial Seizures

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Both Simple and Complex Seizures

Votes: 29 70.7%
  • Neither Simple nor Complex Partial Seizures

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Deb12345

New
Reaction score
* What's the difference between Simple Partial Seizures and Complex Partial Seizures?

* What experiences have you had?

:ponder:

Last edited:
These are only small explanations of the 2:

Simple Partial Seizures: are seizures which affect only a small region of the brain, often the temporal lobes and/or hippocampi. People who have simple partial seizures retain consciousness

Complex Partial Seizures: Is an epileptic seizure that is associated with bilateral cerebral hemisphere involvement and causes impairment of awareness or responsiveness, i.e. loss of consciousness

I've had complex partial seizures since I was 13 and still don't know why they started because I haven't had them my whole life and I never had a head injury but im 23 now and still have them after trying 3 different medications. Can anybody explain? Is there a chance I could outgrow these? Could they worsen to gran mal as I get older or could they become less severe? (turn into just simple partial seizures?)

Last edited:
Poll fixed per OP's request.

I started out with Complex Seizures (Tonic-Clonic) and now I also have Simple Partial seizures as well. I take Carbatrol for them, but have been having Simple Partial seizures for years without knowing what they were. I have been on the same dose of medicine for ten years though. My blood levels have always been in the normal range. Not sure if just an increase in dosage is called for or a second medicine.

I started out with Complex Seizures (Tonic-Clonic) and now I also have Simple Partial seizures as well. I take Carbatrol for them, but have been having Simple Partial seizures for years without knowing what they were. I have been on the same dose of medicine for ten years though. My blood levels have always been in the normal range. Not sure if just an increase in dosage is called for or a second medicine.

i am the same since having sezures it was always tonic clonic... thn shortly after starting tablets i keep getting this de ja fu out of body and not really able to focus type thing i always thought it was just my tabs side effects until this week when i seen all the posts about simple partiel and i read up on it and it sounds like ive had this all along aswell as tonic clonic... is that possible?

My main seizures are partial seizures. I used to always have an aura which would either be followed by a smaller seizure or a complex partial.

I often had seizures when i was on my own so didn't always know how bad my seizure was & I had to go on my instinct to try to remember as much as I could & make note of anything different.
If I had a family member or friend witness my seizure then I would have to find out from them what happened so I could try to determine how bad the seizure was.

Last edited:
...have been having Simple Partial seizures for years without knowing what they were.

Me too! I was having deja-vu episodes and complex partials for at least two and a half years before I found out what they are (after suffering two tonic-clonic seizures).

My generalised seizures are controlled by the medications, but I still have lots of partials. I don't think that's going to change any time soon. I'm just happy enough to not be having convulsive seizures!

Back
Top Bottom