Peripheral neuropathy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Tez_20

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
Anti-seizure medications: Relief from nerve pain

Anti-seizure drugs often are used to help control the type of pain caused by damaged nerves.

Anti-seizure medications were originally designed to treat people with epilepsy. But the nerve-calming qualities of some of these medications can also help quiet the burning, stabbing or shooting pain often caused by nerve damage.

Why does it hurt?

Nerves can be damaged by many things, including injury, surgery, disease or exposure to toxins. The damaged nerves are activated inappropriately and send pain signals that don't serve a useful purpose. This type of pain can be debilitating and difficult to control.

Nerve damage (neuropathy) can be caused by many conditions, including:

Diabetes. High blood sugar levels, common in diabetes, can damage nerves throughout your body. The first symptom generally is numbness and pain in your hands and feet (diabetic neuropathy).

Shingles. Anyone who has had chickenpox is at risk of shingles, a rash of blisters that can be painful or itchy. A condition called postherpetic neuralgia occurs if shingles pain persists after the rash disappears.

Because the risk of shingles increases with age, everyone age 50 and older should receive the varicella-zoster virus vaccine (Zostavax), which can help prevent this painful condition.

Chemotherapy. Some chemotherapy drugs can damage nerves, causing pain and numbness that generally begin in the tips of your toes and fingers (neuropathy).
Herniated disk. Nerve damage can occur if a herniated disk in your spine squeezes a nerve passing through your vertebrae too tightly.
Fibromyalgia. Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition that causes pain and tenderness throughout your body.

How do anti-seizure drugs help?

The exact mechanism of action isn't fully understood, but anti-seizure medications appear to interfere with the overactive transmission of pain signals sent from damaged nerves.

Some anti-seizure drugs work particularly well for certain conditions. Carbamazepine (Carbatrol, Tegretol) is widely prescribed for trigeminal neuralgia, a condition that causes searing facial pain that feels like an electric shock.

It's important to note that the Food and Drug Administration has issued a warning that all anti-seizure medications are associated with a slightly increased risk of suicidal thoughts or actions. Talk to a doctor or counselor promptly if you feel depressed or suicidal.

I had terrible nerve pain and pain doctor put me on neurotin. We didn't realize at the time I was having simple partial seizures. I couldn't stand it and stopped taking it.

After I was DX'ed with SP's I was put on Lamictial by my neurologist. I noticed after about a month the nerve pain in my leg was gone and I starting going back to the gym. When I mentioned it to the neuro she attributed much of the pain going away because she had me double my dose of curcumin. I'm just glad the pain is gone and I finally found a main stream doctor that actually knows something about supplements and vitamins.

Hi MAB,

I'm pleased Lamictial helped as that drug never helped me besides side affects and to this day i'm on nothing to help the nerve damage....with that besides Raynauds and very bad circulation some parts of my body I wished I hadn't got...such as my legs and certain fingers.

Hi MAB,

I'm pleased Lamictial helped as that drug never helped me besides side affects and to this day i'm on nothing to help the nerve damage....with that besides Raynauds and very bad circulation some parts of my body I wished I hadn't got...such as my legs and certain fingers.

You might try the curcumin for the nerve pain. My neuro is pretty convinced that is the reason for my relief. My son also uses it for the nerve pain in his leg caused from a back problem and said it helps more than prednisone.

You might try the curcumin for the nerve pain. My neuro is pretty convinced that is the reason for my relief. My son also uses it for the nerve pain in his leg caused from a back problem and said it helps more than prednisone.

MAB i'm due an appointment to come through to see the sister to my rheumo and i'll ask her but I've just looked the ingredients up it contains ginger and having the sjogrens with dryness and no saliva....ginger and any mild ingredients cause the bile bad.

Sorry I didn't realize you had other conditions that might prevent you from using it You might find one without the added ginger. That is an additional ingredient that not all curcumin products contain.

Maybe the info will be helpful to someone else here

Sorry I didn't realize you had other conditions that might prevent you from using it You might find one without the added ginger. That is an additional ingredient that not all curcumin products contain.

Maybe the info will be helpful to someone else here

MAB I have Lupus and sjogren's with overlapping autoimmune diseases and sjogrens is like living in hell besides having organ involvement.
Anything spicy is a reject to my system and ginger biscuits give me the bile...I have to have food which contains a sauce for swalling and I live using biotene for my mouth.

I added the discussion so it may help other members and what you've stated alone will do that concerning the curcumin...which I still will ask about.

Back
Top Bottom