Photosensitivity?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Dignan

Stalwart
Reaction score
I ate a restaurant last night that had a florescent light that was flickering badly right behind my table.

Though it wasnt right in my face, I could sense it in my peripheral vision and see the reflection of it flickering in the window and in my dinner plate. So, it felt like I couldnt get away from it or find a place to focus my gaze where I didnt sense it at some level.

I don't consider myself particularly photosensitive. It doesn't usually cause me problems other than being annoying or headache, unless I am already having and aura/partial and then it can set me off.

I wasn't having any auras or partials, but the flicker bothered me and I felt a bit spacey/light headache for the rest of the evening. No other seizure symptoms.

Does anyone who is not particularly photosensitive or those without E, find that the flickering lights cause them to feel this way too? Or does this sound like an E related thing?

Hi Dignan,

Being photosensitive can be related to E and the triggering of seizures. A few yrs. ago when I had to type of the old apple computers that had just the flourscent green monitors and I ended up having seizures after being on the computer for about 5 min. My Epileptologist did a special e.e.g. on me where he flashed different color strobe lights one at a time and by doing this he found certain colors were triggering seizures for me. I would get bad headaches sometimes before the seizure happened. Strobe lights really used to cause seizures for me but after I had surgery the light doesn't bother me anymore. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

I'm not photosensitive but I can get some bad headaches from strobing lights. Kinda crappy when you are part of an emergency service and the emergency lights are insanely bright at night. I've been known if we are at a strike team (or hotshot) deployment and aren't tasked at that point in time to have a small sleep in the truck with the heat deflection shields down to calm the headache.

It's a requirement for my service to display your emergency lights at all times if you are on the fireground for safety and logistical reasons.

Last edited:
I've often wondered why the emergency lights now strobe at such a rapid rate. It is much more bothersome, when in the past emergency lights didn't flicker at such a fast rate.

This is also true for fire alarms in a building. As now when the go off, they are accompanied by strobes in the hallway that flicker at a high rate. couldn't they just use slower flashing lights?

From memory it apparently makes the emergency vehicle more visible but I'm not entirely sure, I thought my fire service went overboard as our newest truck has about 20 sets of LED strobe lights on it, and possibly to trigger the traffic light sensor as the vehicle approaches because the sensor is looking for a pulse at a certain rate.

The traffic lights in my area don't have those sensors because we run on a back to base system where the traffic management centre changes the lights to suit the vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom