Plane Pilot

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

MajorT

New
Reaction score
If you have epilepsy can you become a pilot or continue to be a pilot if you have your pilot's license? If you have epilepsy and your seizures are controlled by medication can you be a commercial pilot? Or can you continue your privileges as long as another competent pilot is at the controls?

If you do not know the answers to these questions for certain let me know within your response. But you are more than welcome to give your dos pesos.:lol:

HI Major T: Welcome to the board!!! I don't know those answers,but I would assume they are as strict as a drivers license .
You have more pple to be responsible for . Whatever happens wish you the best of luck!!

Nice meeting you ,hope to chat with you some more in the future.

Riva

If you have epilepsy can you become a pilot or continue to be a pilot if you have your pilot's license? If you have epilepsy and your seizures are controlled by medication can you be a commercial pilot? Or can you continue your privileges as long as another competent pilot is at the controls?

If you do not know the answers to these questions for certain let me know within your response. But you are more than welcome to give your dos pesos.:lol:

hello MajorT,

welcome to the forum:) I just looked this up for you....

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...s/aam/ame/guide/app_process/exam_tech/item46/

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...iv8&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.5.2.1.5&idno=14

http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/living/wellness/employment/airlines.cfm

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/faq/response10/

Pilot Medical Certification-Frequently Asked Questions
Am I prohibited from exercising the privileges of my pilot certificate during medical deficiency?

Yes. You are prohibited from acting as pilot-in-command or as a required pilot flight crewmember during any medical deficiency that would be disqualifying or may interfere with the safe operation of an aircraft.

For more information, see 14 CFR §61.53

A simple problem such as a cold, a broken arm, or an abscessed tooth may require nothing more than the appropriate treatment and a little time before you can safely return to the skies. A more complicated problem or the development or change of a chronic illness may necessitate consultation with an AME or the FAA before resuming flying. New medical conditions do not need to be reported to the FAA until you wish to return to flying.

Love angel

My brother in law had high cholesterol and he was grounded until he got it under control. He had to take extremely difficult tests to regain his license.
I would think this would be one career that needs to be re-thunk.

Hi MajorT, welcome to the forum. :hello:

Angel's second link spells it out in black and white:
CFR said:
Title 14: Aeronautics and Space
PART 67—MEDICAL STANDARDS AND CERTIFICATION
Subpart B—First-Class Airman Medical Certificate

§ 67.109 Neurologic.
Neurologic standards for a first-class airman medical certificate are:

(a) No established medical history or clinical diagnosis of any of the following:

(1) Epilepsy;

(2) A disturbance of consciousness without satisfactory medical explanation of the cause; or

(3) A transient loss of control of nervous system function(s) without satisfactory medical explanation of the cause.

(b) No other seizure disorder, disturbance of consciousness, or neurologic condition that the Federal Air Surgeon, based on the case history and appropriate, qualified medical judgment relating to the condition involved, finds—

(1) Makes the person unable to safely perform the duties or exercise the privileges of the airman certificate applied for or held; or

(2) May reasonably be expected, for the maximum duration of the airman medical certificate applied for or held, to make the person unable to perform those duties or exercise those privileges.

Thanks for the info folks. I guess I was just a little apprehensive of looking it up myself. I appreciate your time in research. It was a dream of mine since I was young. I had a Officer's Pilot slot in the AF after 4 yrs in ROTC as a contracted cadet I was later dis enrolled. When I started having seizures and after being in denial of my condition I broke down in tears. The hardest part is my mother keeps bringing it up and saying "there must be a way". But I have a new career in mind that I know will bring great joy to me.

Thanks again everyone

Thanks for the info folks. I guess I was just a little apprehensive of looking it up myself. I appreciate your time in research. It was a dream of mine since I was young. I had a Officer's Pilot slot in the AF after 4 yrs in ROTC as a contracted cadet I was later dis enrolled. When I started having seizures and after being in denial of my condition I broke down in tears. The hardest part is my mother keeps bringing it up and saying "there must be a way". But I have a new career in mind that I know will bring great joy to me.

Thanks again everyone

I think if you can go two years with out a seizure you can fly again....
I'm not sure about that though...you need to read up on it... flying is fun!! Ive only been in a Cessna when i went to sky dive Oregon its was Awesome! door open wind blowing hanging legs over the edge turn your head and your out lol :brock:.. Ive gone skydiving "tandem only" it was so fun:) the E meds make me kinda sick tho so i wont be trying it again for a while...

Love angel

You might be interested to know that some of the earliest research on EEG neurofeedback was done on behalf of the request of the US Air Force because the fumes from rocket fuel was causing some pilots to have seizures:
Scientific American Mind said:
In the late 1960s sleep researcher M. Barry Sterman learned something interesting while tracking the EEGs of cats. He found a previously unknown pattern of brain waves with frequencies between 12 and 15 hertz (Hz), or cycles per second, in a part of the brain called the sensorimotor cortex. Sterman, now professor emeritus at the University of California, Los Angeles, dubbed this pattern the sensorimotor rhythm, or SMR. SMR was always present, he learned, in relaxed and awake felines. When he rewarded the animals at those moments with snacks, they began to produce stronger SMRs. Through this conditioning experiment, Sterman demonstrated that it is possible to change one's own brain waves deliberately.

The researcher might well not have followed up on this discovery. But at roughly the same time, he received a request from the U.S. Air Force, which wanted him to test the potential cognitive effects of exposure to monomethylhydrazine, a substance used in some rocket fuels and known to cause seizures. Sterman injected the chemical into cats. About an hour afterward, most of them suffered a seizure. In a few of the subjects, however, the seizure's onset occurred considerably later than usual; three others escaped the convulsions entirely. Seeking an answer for the resistance, Sterman examined his experimental protocol. He observed that the resilient cats had one thing in common: they had previously been involved in his conditioning tests. Could their ability to control their SMR waves have been a factor?

Sterman pursued the question in further experiments. In the early 1970s he found indications that people with epilepsy also could reduce their risk of seizures if they learned to heighten their SMR levels. Yet the idea remained controversial for lack of thorough study.

Train Your Brain

My wife used EEG neurofeedback to eliminate all seizure activity (and without the assistance of any medications) for four years. The seizures came back after she delivered our first child, but I am quite convinced that if we hadn't had children, her seizures would never have returned.

Yeah, I actually have my private pilots license but I haven't flown in a long while. I'll ask my neurologist about the wait period of being able to exercise flying privileges and what the wait time is. Thanks again for the research you have done.

I have had my commercial pilot's license for 10 years, always wanted to fly professionally, so went through the civilian channel... Well, I've had my lungs collapse six times and the FAA did eventually give me back my class c medical. But, since having been diagnosed with epilepsy(2 grand mal seizures one of which I slammed my car into a tree at like 80MPH - oh and if you wanna see some pics of the wreck I'll link em) I'll never be able to fly solo again...

So, although I'm not able to log hours flying right now, I can still fly as a right seat 'safety' pilot for other pilots. If you have an interest in aviation, look-up your local civil air patrol, they're a great bunch and that should afford you the opportunity for right seat flying reasonably often.

Hi Mensrea: Welcome to the board , nice meeting you . Glad your still able to fly !!!!
Looking forward to getting to know you!!!!!

Riva

Hi mensrea, welcome to the forum. :hello:

countme109pooletr3.jpg

b1a.jpg

This was my choice. HOLY COW!! A supersonic bomber capable of carrying 200,000 lbs in ordinance. Are you kidding me?!!

supersonic speed? how about ludicrous speed?

MY favorite! SR71 Blackbird but we called it the Habu in Okinawa. It's an amazing spy plane. Used to fly right over our house and the Okinawans would park at the end of the runway with all kinds of cameras snapping rolls of photos! It was so cool! :brock:

88fea16d.jpg

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise.

Take these sunken eyes and learn to see
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to be free.

Blackbird fly Blackbird fly
Into the light of the dark black night.

Blackbird fly Blackbird fly
Into the light of the dark black night.

Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise
You were only waiting for this moment to arise
You were only waiting for this moment to arise.

Spad Xiii Nut!

I'm a SPAD XIII Nut - Seriously!

spadxiii.jpg

27aeroSpadtrainer.JPG

spadxiii_NAM.jpg

I made so many models designs - oh my gosh!
They're all WWI airplanes - Brits, France, USA ...

And it was the SPAD XIII that shot down the
RED BARON - the German Fokker plane (Tri-plane).
The first image above, Eddie Rickenbacker in cockpit
and of course the Sopwiths too.

I'm an Aeroplane nut; especially the WWI and
WWII and early wars.

If you must inquire, YES, I've flown WWI and
WWII and including Naval Trainer - Hawker
Hurricane - see below for example of what it
looked like; which belonged to one
of my deceased father's co-workers.
It was all silver with red cowling and had
US NAVY on it.

hurricane.jpg

EDITED:
I think I do have some photos at my
mom's house with me as pilot or co-piloting.
They're in black and white or faded color
(due to age), but I will see if I can get my
album and scan them off; would be neat
to see it again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom