Pleased to report...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Tomorrow, I'll head downtown to the hospital by myself, for the first time in a long time... because I can! :)

This appointment with my epileptologist was made back in February, when the referral was made to the surgeon after all the necessary testing was done. I remember my heart sinking, thinking that it seemed so far away. To make myself feel better, I just hoped that by the time this appointment came around, it would be a follow-up to surgery. Thankfully it is!

My second right temporal lobe surgery was done April 29th. I cannot wait to report to him that I've been seizure-free for 170 days (tomorrow), since April 23rd (I happened to have a few good days prior to surgery, guess my :brain: got scared of what was to come, again!)

To continue the celebration, I decided to run a half marathon (13.1 miles/21.1km) on October 20th, which will be my 180th seizure-free day.:woot: Epilepsy Toronto is well represented at this race; it's a sea of people wearing purple shirts to help raise awareness for epilepsy. This year, I'll wear the purple with pride. For me, for qtowngirl who is also doing remarkably well since surgery, and for all of you here, who are fighting the same fight! (I've gotten my own special shirt made up for the occasion... ;) I'll try to post a pic when I get it).

:clap::e:

Thanks for all the support that I've received here through this journey. Thank you to the new friends I've made. You're a blessing in my life.

Last edited:
2ndchances, 170 days Wow! Hearing of this, you and "qtowngirl" can be so proud and happy of your seizure free days... shoot, I am happy for you both. And you can run a half marathon? Now that should make you be feeling incredible. Huge :tup: for ya!

Thank cadsgj!! I wouldn't say I can *run* a half marathon... it certainly won't be pretty, or fast, and it'll hurt a lot the next day, but when I saw my surgeon at 6 weeks post-op, it was one of my first questions... when can I run again. He gave me the green light to start slowly.. so I did.

In fact, it was my first surgery that inspired me to run... now I just seem to have a greater purpose, and with the epilepsy awareness at this race, it seemed fitting that I should be there to celebrate. :)

Check out a little video montage I made below if you haven't seen it already:

Qtowngirl and I talk almost daily, and yes, we're pretty darn proud of ourselves and each other.
Thanks again!

Wow. Thanks for that. I don't know you, but am so happy to know you are doing well.

Hi Mel,
So glad you are doing so well.
Good luck with your appt, I'm sure your epiologist will be very happy with how you are going.

Good luck with the marathon, you should be very proud of yourself :clap:.

Last edited:
Congratulations on the amazing progress you've mader, and will continue to make. And good luck with the half-marathon! It's inspiring for us all. :)

Wow. Thanks for that. I don't know you, but am so happy to know you are doing well.

Same as Jeff, but congratulations. My mom started running when I started kindergarten. She always tried to get me off my lazy ass, but nope. I'm stubborn. :)

Keep it up.

2ndchances

Both you and qtowngirl have been an inspiration to us all and shown how brave you both are. Post the pic please. Things will go well for you even in the half marathon (I prefer the couch - too lazy) How you do it I have no idea but best of luck to you and I hope you win. I think it is me who should say thank you for the support you have given and shown.

Thank you everyone, you sure know how to make this girl smile! :)

I had a really positive day today! The neurologist's computer broke, so he was unable to bring up my file... I fixed his computer ;) He was so happy to hear I've been seizure-free.

We talked about our plans for my meds (which will mean adding one more for the purpose of eventually letting go of the two I'm currently on, one at a time). He said he'll send me a letter that I can forward to the Ministry of Transportation to reinstate my license, and obliged my request to repeat the neuropsych test. (I want to see if the issues I notice are validated, out of curiosity). My epileptologist's nurse said that I could be a 'poster child' for their department, and asked if I'd ever consider speaking about my story/experience at conferences, etc. I said yes -- even though I suck and FEAR public speaking! I'm just so passionate about this cause... for all of us! She also wanted my permission to share my video with other patients... I told her to share away, I'd be honored!

I then went to Epilepsy Toronto's office to pick up my team t-shirt, which I get for next weekend's race as I chose to fundraise for them (even though I'll wear my special one I'm having made to wear for the race). I was fortunate enough to see the Director of Adult Services, a lovely lady by the name of Rosie, who visits the EMU weekly at the hospital where I had the surgery. I met her last December, and her words have stayed with me since. She remembered me, and recognized me even without the electrodes! :tup: We talked for about an hour, she introduced me to her colleagues, and told their writer/publisher that the they should do a story on me for their newsletter; he agreed! We've set up a meeting next week!

i dare someone to try to wipe the :bigsmile: off my face today! ;)

Thank you again, everyone!

Last edited:
That's great news Mel, so happy for you :bigsmile:

Yes i agree with mspang,good news is always great to here.Over the moon for you and Q,and i hope you do really well in your run.All the best Mel!!!

Hey everyone!! The t-shirt I had made for the half marathon came in the mail today... here it is! I will wear it with so much pride!! I'm looking so forward to Sunday to celebrate my 180th seizure-free day!
qxut1v.jpg

2rzcolz.jpg

I know of too many people touched by epilepsy, so I've made a list, which includes CWE friends, and will pin it to my leg during the race... so you're ALL coming with me! :) Do you have your shoes ready!? ;) :rock:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom