post tonic clonic seizure snoring

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
My apologies for asking so much, but this is the first time I've found anyone but my neuro who knows about Epilepsy.

My wife has seen the very end of my 2 known, probable grand-mal, seizures and she said I was doing a very distinctive "snore". My question is, does anyone have a video or know of one I can watch that may have an example of this (just highly interested) and 2 is it normal? My neuro seems to know what she is talking about.

Man this is cool, other people. Granted, I haven't been diagnosed long, and only had a couple of known attacks, but... wow :D thank you all for being here!

Good question! Honestly, I don't know if I snore after a seizure. I'm going to assume that I do. The reason? I snore every night, and snoring is caused by muscles relaxing. Now, considering that grand mals tend to involve muscles tensing, it would seem logical to assume that they would relax following the seizure and that snoring might occur at that time.

Why don't you ask her to video tape you doing this?

I don't

have any videos handy.........but there are some on YouTube you might be able to check out. I'll warn you though, if you haven't seen anyone have a seizure before, be mentally prepared....it can be a bit......shocking the first time or so....

I do know that I make a similar sound after mine, according to my kids. I also, according to them, make this very strange sound beforehand, which they're at a loss to describe....

The "snoring" post-seizure is usually caused when mucous or a relaxed tongue slightly blocks the airway. It's not serious, but it can go on a long time just because we're so exhausted post-seizure, and the body/brain need sleep.

Meetz -- I'm not sure what sound you make right before a seizure. I know I make what sounds like a strange scream. Apparently it's a sharp intake of breath -- the body gasps in order to get as much oxygen to the brain as possible when all the neurons are firing away...

That may

be it, Nakamova, I don't know. I've tried to weasel more out of them over the years, but they just can't seem to find the right words to describe it. It's weird...But, I think you're probably right.....

I read once about someone whose seizures were cured when she saw a video of herself seizing -- apparently the shock was so great that it "traumatized" her brain not to seize again. So I would be interested in having my own seizures videotaped -- except that I never know when they are going to show up, and right now they aren't showing up very often (knock on wood).

I do know that I make a similar sound after mine, according to my kids. I also, according to them, make this very strange sound beforehand, which they're at a loss to describe....

Meetz,
Before I lost my schnauzer to cancer, I know that she would be sleeping and all of a sudden look over at me. And then a seizure would occur. What I figured out was that I was drawing a deep, audible breath right before a seizure. The sound was enough to get her attention in spite of her snoozing.

I know both the before and after noises too well. They are really engrained in my memory from my wife's only t-c in front of me. Honestly it's hard for me to think about it. I'm sorry. Just reminds me of the whole experience. I know I have to be ready for it again mentally, but it's hard. Those of you who know my story know why.

Anyway, the before sound is very strange. Like a moan or something. Very distinctive. The after snoring for my wife was more something along the lines of a gasp, or just really, really deep breaths out of her nose and mouth simultaneously. Also a very distinctive sound.

Aw, Molly

I'm sorry you had to lose such a pal to cancer. But it's interesting how we learn things, too, sometimes....

Foreverdark,

You can visit epilepsy.com and they do have some videos of different types of seizures, what happens before and after. But as Meetz has said, it can be very shocking to see a tonic/clonic (grand mal) for the first time. My family has said I let out some kind of screech when going into a seizure.

Why don't you ask her to video tape you doing this?

I have only had two KNOWN full out seizures. one in '05 and one 8/21 of this year. The first time I was alone in our van waiting for my wife to get our daughter from school and this other time everyone was asleep until the kids woke my wife up. so... :(

All I know is she has said that both times she came in at the end of the seizure and I was "snoring". She say's it is almost impossible to describe, it sounds so weird *L*

I've been watching a lot of vids on youtube, trying to see all the different types of Epilepsy/seizures out there.

... My wife has seen the very end of my 2 known, probable grand-mal, seizures and she said I was doing a very distinctive "snore". ... and 2 is it normal? My neuro seems to know what she is talking about.

I have unfortunately had opportunity to witness my wife have literally close to 100 grand mal (tonic clonic) seizures. They almost always follow the same pattern:
  • pre-tonic - body might slowly bend/move and subject might elicit "slow motion" scream/yell that fades out.
  • convulsions - usually last about 10-15 seconds, but could last up to 30-40 seconds.
  • eye of the storm - convulsions stop. breathing stops. everything stops. incontinence can occur at this time or during the convulsions. usually lasts about 10 seconds
  • breathing resumes - when breathing resumes, it is forced and laborious. The more phlem/mucus/saliva was generated during the convulsions, the worse this will be. This is likely the "snoring" your wife mentioned.
  • deep sleep - breathing normalizes and subject appears to enter a deep sleep
  • post ictal responsiveness - if you attempt to wake subject from the deep sleep, you might get varying levels of responsiveness, but subject is "disconnected" still - they will appear groggy/confused. They will generally not remember any conversation you hold with them at this time once they fully recover.
  • recovery - subject fully recovered and embarrassed about having had the seizure and feeling sore all over

The deep sleep and post ictal responsiveness periods can vary greatly. The combined window for both has been as short as 15 minutes and as long as 6-10 hours for my wife at various times.

I remember when Rachel had her first grand-mal while around us. I have seen just a tonic seizure before but never a tonic clonic seizure- i was not worried but just didnt like hearing the sounds. Usually in the begining, all of the air is forced out of your lungs becuase everything in your body is tensing up. After, everything is relaxed and there is fluid in the throat and mouth and the body is trying to get air in and out but things are in the way. Rachel seemed to be breathing through her nose becuase her mouth was closed to tight and fluid was in there- but we made sure to put her on her side so that blood and fluid would come out and she would not chock on it.
It was harding seeing my friend having a grandmal seizure but I knew she would be okay. I've seen one of my complex partial seizures on video and it surely seems weird when someone calls my name and I don't respond at all. I keep telling myself to wake up or snap out of it- its odd to see your own seizure.

As a side note here: it has been 1 week today since my last ?Tonic Clonic? and I still fee "funny". I'm used to the memory thing, but it is the: tired, groggy, achy, headachy feeling I'm talking about. Do you all have the same after effects? :)

Sounds like a NyQuill comercial *L* :D

Yeah, I

do. :agree: Mine are pretty violent, and I do some pretty nasty things to this bod of mine. I ache for usually a week, sometimes 2 afterwards. My head feels like it's....been stuffed in a hole, and kept there a while. Then wrenched around.... with some migraine-type feelings, some of which subside after 24 to 48 hours, some of which don't go away for a LONG time....:ponder:

Hopefully you'll feel better soon. :banana:

Take care.

Meetz
:rock:

Back
Top Bottom