Pregnancy & E??!!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Loudmouth

New
Reaction score
Can anyone give me some tips on pregnancy with E? I am concerned that even my obstetric consultant seems to be as in the dark as I am about the tetrological effects of gabapentin on a foetus, and even the british registery for anti-convulsants in pregnancy doesn't really seem to have a clue. Would there be any info from the states that someone could find for me to look at? Or any other tips? Thank you.

Neurontin (Gabapentin) & Pregnancy

This was the shortest article I could find that
had the best info in a brief perspective, but as
with all and any concerns - such should be
discussed with your Doctors - both Neurologist
(or Epileptologist) and your OB/Gynecologist:

Neurontin (Gabapentin)

In standard preclinical in vivo lifetime carcinogenicity studies, an unexpectedly high incidence of pancreatic acinar adenocarcinomas was identified in male, but not female, rats. (See PRECAUTIONS: Carcinogenesis, Mutagenesis, Impairment of Fertility.) The clinical significance of this finding is unknown. Clinical experience during gabapentin's premarketing development provides no direct means to assess its potential for inducing tumors in humans.

In clinical studies in adjunctive therapy in epilepsy comprising 2085 patient-years of exposure in patients > 12 years of age, new tumors were reported in 10 patients (2 breast, 3 brain, 2 lung, 1 adrenal, 1 non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, 1 endometrial carcinoma in situ), and preexisting tumors worsened in 11 patients (9 brain, 1 breast, 1 prostate) during or up to 2 years following discontinuation of Neurontin. Without knowledge of the background incidence and recurrence in a similar population not treated with Neurontin, it is impossible to know whether the incidence seen in this cohort is or is not affected by treatment.

=======================================

This medication should be used only when clearly needed during pregnancy. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.

Gabapentin passes into breast milk. Because the effects of this drug on the nursing infant are unknown, consult your doctor before breast-feeding.

Hi Loudmouth

When I was pregnant, I was on depakane. I was in my childbearing years at the time. Since he knew that, he should have informed me when he put me on the medicine that I could not have children. He, my neurologist, did not.

I got pregnant because my husband and I wanted to have another baby. He wanted me to have an abortion, after I told him I was pregnant. Life is to prescious to kill a life. I am not trying to put my beliefs on you.

Life is important to me. Be sure and ask your doctor/neurologist before you get pregnant. Then you can make an informed deciscion.

I am sorry, I forgot to finish. I had a healthy 8 pound baby.

Back
Top Bottom