Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

mum2be

New
Reaction score
I found some shocking news that I'm 7 weeks pregnant!
Anyone else would be over the moon but I'm worried/scared as it was unplanned and I've been taking my normal medication and no folic acid! (I take oxcarbazepine and lamotrigine)

I arranged a private scan to check all seemed normal once I found out as all I've done is panic, theres a normal heart beat but obviously we can't tell anything else until later on.

Anyone been on these meds whilst pregnant?
Anyone know when I can have scans to see any health problems?
Also how does everyone cope with taking medication and living with epilepsy whilst trying to protect your baby? Its making me an emotional wreck worrying!

Thanks x

mum2be

First I am Male but may I say planned or not congratulations even if its early. From other Lady's here what they done was contact there neurologist and say it to them and ask about there drugs, you should consider this. There are wonderful mothers here who can answer the other question for obvious reasons and I do not remember reading of any problems. So calm down a little (ya easy for me to say) but you will give yourself a hernia worrying so much.

Hi Mum2be - congratulations! I can't speak for your other med but I'm pretty lamotrigine is one of the safer epilepsy drugs in pregnancy. What are your docs advising? Hope you've hit the folic acid now - it's recommended for the first 12 weeks in Britain. Again, your docs should be advising you on dose.

Hope all goes smoothly for you.

I would echo the other posters and say that if you haven't already, i would talk to your doc ASAP and definitely start taking folic acid/prenatal vitamins right away. This thread was just recently posted, so she may have some extra info for you since she is on one of the same meds and just had all her testing done too! Good Luck and Congratulations!:

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/blog-post-finally-pregnant-21197/

Hi there

I just stopped in quickly tonight, and found this post *grinning*

I've been a mother 3 times, all of them on meds....I've had E since I was born.

Yes, it can make you a nervous wreck....but ONLY if you let it.

You're going to have a bit of extra attention from the docs because of the meds and the E. You'll probably have to have blood levels done to check them because of the changes the baby brings in your body. More than likely, you will also have one extra scan, but probably no more than that.

Do make sure to ask about taking folic acid as soon as possible.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like......

Congratulations! :hugs:

:rock:

Meetz

I've never been pregnant and I'm not going to be. I had a hysterectomy because my epilepsy is pretty bad and I didn't know what it would do to me or the baby. Don't be scared because I said this because everyone is different.

I could suggest talking to your neuro and gyno and see what they have to say about things and do what they tell you.

I know there are a ton of people on here with epilepsy and on meds that have had several children with no problems at all. Don't let yourself get worked up over things, there's no need to worry about things that don't need to be worried about.

I have 4 children, all of them adults now. When I was pregnant with my last one, I was on Depakote. My neurologist told me to get an abortion.

I said "No," that would be murder. I have a life inside of me and I am going to have my baby. I did, and I had a 9 pound healthy boy. He is an adult now.

I had epilepsy with all 4 of my babies. I do not regret it at all. I love all of them. The fun part is raising them. The first 2 were twins.

Just enjoy your pregnancy and take your meds. You will be all right.

Back
Top Bottom