Pregnancy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Well, the title says it all.

My hubby and I would like to have another baby (would be child number 2).

I have so many people sending me mixed messages from "it's a horrible idea" to "do what you want...I'm not saying a word."

Everyone seems concerned about one thing: my health, and that I won't be able to physically handle two children.

It is terribly draining on me taking care of my son, but I'm a good mother.

Everyone has their challenges right? Some people are single parents, some people lose their jobs unexpectedly, some people get ill after the child is born...we all have our hurdles.

I want my son to have a sibling, and my "maternal instincts" are calling to me.

Maybe everyone is right though. It would be helpful if I had the support of family and friends. :agree:

Anyone else been in a similar situation?

-Julie

Julie, I think that if you and your husband want to do this, you should. You are both adults and know what it will mean.
My daughter is an ob/gyn resident and she and her husband are trying to make a similar decision. In her case, seizures aren't involved but long, long hours (and weird hours too!) are involved. But she and her husband are both feeling like it might be time. I told them the exact same thing that I told you in the first paragraph. This decision is only between you and your husband and hopefully your family will come around and support you as much as I plan to support Desiree and Grant, whatever choice they may make!

I think the world could always use a child being brought into a loving enviroment. Who knows your next child may be the one that will make this world a better place, discovers cure for seizures, etc
You are right, everyone has challenges....you are going in with your eyes wide open.
Congrats...go for it!

Help! Can anyone remember where this one came from? It can be used here ....

WHO CARES WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK!

That is what I often tell people! It is none
of their business in what you and your loved
one wants to do! If you want to have 5 children
and have the passion, time, and love for 5
children ... by all means go for it!

If you and your loved one had decided on
1 or 2 children - then go for it. It is BOTH
of your lives and your decisions ... so it
goes right back to ....

WHO CARES WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK!

:tup:

I know there was a column by I forget whom,
either By Dear Abby, or Dear Miss Manners,
or Dear Ann Landers - the column was old;
but it was powerful - pretty much of what
I had implied above is what I can remember
from it. I think the question from the writer
was a "handicapped woman" - but that one
is a very old one ... if anyone is able to
remember it, or have it, scan it and post it;
or if you can find it on the web - copy and
paste it over here so it can be reposted once
again ... it is very strong and powerful and
please do include the original question and
the response! I know this one gets reprinted
every so often but it has been a long time
since I've seen it....

Does anyone remember what I am
in reference to?? HELP!

Hi Julie! I have to agree with the others. :) Or, as I keep telling myself, other people's opinions are none of my business. Think of it this way, they aren't going to feed, burp, clothe, or bathe the child...so their opinion doesn't count. :)

I agree 100% with the other posts!

Who cares what others think?!!

Sure it is always a risk to have a baby while taking any meds and always when taking AED's but you and your Dr. can talk about what is safe and what isn't.
If you feel that you are comfortable with having another child is the right thing to do for YOU then by all means do but don't listen to the negativity from friends and family.
I've had to tell my family to quit butting into my business because they were so overbearing when my husband and I were "thinking" of having a 3rd child. I have learned to keep my mouth shut about these things so I don't have to hear their opinions. I already know what they'll say and I don't want to hear it.

If you do end up having another child, always remember that God will provide. Being a mother of 2 or more isn't always easy but it is so worth it, no matter what others say. :)

Skilly just reminded me of Sophia .... Julie ... LOL!

Think of it this way, they aren't going to feed, burp, clothe, or bathe the child...so their opinion doesn't count. :)

LOL! Skilly - I think you just hit the nail on the
head there ... Just picture this "episode" if it
were ever on the air ...

<mimics Sophia from Golden Girls>

"Listen here Smarty Pants, When I gets
my child; You're gonna be the one to
give your grandchild a bath, feed'em,
wash all the diapers, and oh yeah ....
clean their butts after their stinkin'
poops ..."

::: looking firm and direct as always :::

</end of mimic of Sophia from Golden Girls>

sophia.jpg

:roflmao:

Last edited:
Again, thanks for the support everyone. There is a lot of truth in what you all said. :agree:

Sharon,
I LOVE Golden Girls! :roflmao:

Love you all,
Julie

Back
Top Bottom