Pregnant With Epilepsy/Seizures, Will Things Change?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

JLogefeil

New
Reaction score
I'm 6 weeks and 4 days pregnant and I'm worried about if I end up in the ambulance or the hospital.
Will they treat me the same as when I wasn't pregnant or different (more concerned) that I'm pregnant?
Has anyone had seizures/ epilepsy when pregnant?
I read online that the if the paramedics get a call for a women who is pregnant just treats them as though they aren't pregnant? Is this true?
I'm trying to get as much information on this as possible so maybe my hubby and I can think of a plan just in case.
Thank you for your time. :)
JLogefeil

Hi JLogefeil,
I can't help you with your questions but I wanted to just say congrats on your pregnancy, I hope the pregnancy goes smoothly.

JLogefeil,

I've been thru 3 pregnancies with E, one ended up in a miscarriage, the other two went smoothly. I had no seizures during the pregnancies or deliveries. I now have two grown, healthy kids. My seizures were more so during that 'time of month'.

I think you need to speak with your ob/gyn and your neuro about how the paramedics should treat you during your pregnancy in case you have a seizure. Here is more info on E and pregnancy:
http://www.epilepsy.com/info/women_pregnancy

First of all I want to congratulate you and your husband. I had two successful pregnancies with epilepsy and while on aeds. My ob/gyn treated me as a high risk pregnancy because of the seizures/medication. This simply meant I had more frequent appointments, etc. My pregnancies were many years ago though, so the protocol may be different, although I do think a pregnant woman is always treated differently when going to the emergency room for just about anything (even a minor infection) and not just differently because of epilepsy.

I maintained a very healthy diet and made sure I got 9 hours of sleep a night and had no caffeine. I still remember my OB having me eat a slice of swiss cheese and an orange every night as a snack, not sure what for, but it did keep me from having a candy bar... most of time anyway.

Mary

It's a good idea to make sure your OB/GYN and neurologist are on the same page when it comes to monitoring your care during the pregnancy. You might want to get to know the local ER and/or paramedics so you can familiarize them with your situation. Carry an "In Case of Emergency" card with you in your wallet so that folks know who to call to get info on any health issues.

Back
Top Bottom