Query on boosting the immune system

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Birdbomb

VNS Guru
Reaction score
Okay, smarrt guy,

Educate me, please.

The old man is back in the hospital with another outbreak of cellulitis(no, no not that cottage cheese dimpling of the thigh women bitch about) this is a staff infection MRSA . Nasty stuff.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000855.htm

He has peripheral vascular disease w/ischemic ulcers. No diabeties.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000170.htm

The man is a sloth. Lazy bastard too. Eats nothing but garbage. I want to boost his immune system. He was just in the hoapital April right after I got back from my dad's funeral. This infection comes on like a cold or flu then he notices pain in his leg and off to the ER we go. Understand, we have been treating this PVD for over 20 years and the cellulitis for 5.

Give me info. Por Favor!

Well, there are a lot of things one can do to boost the immune system. They all work to varying degrees depending upon the current state of health though. Naturopathic medicine seeks to bring the mind, body and spirit into a healthy state to derive optimal performance from the immune system.

Some ideas:
  • Sleep - Use a regular sleep routine and ensure you get enough quality sleep every night.
  • Drink water - water is required for the body to function and process waste efficiently
  • Foods - Eat the right foods, especially fresh fruits and vegetables. Raw Garlic is especially good for boosting the immune system (I suggest a strong garlic-guacamole with chips).
  • Herbs - There are many herbs that can help. Astragalus, Goldenseal, Echinacea, Camomile, etc.
  • Supplements - Anti-oxidants like selenium, vitamin C, even minerals such as zinc can boost the immune system for the short term
  • Exercise - A sedentary lifestyle does not help maintain optimal health
  • Stress reduction - Yoga, meditation, gardening/hobby, a vacation, etc. find a way to relax a bit

Here's a pretty decent page with more info: Immunity Boosting

BTW, good luck. In my experience, older generations are pretty set in their ways. Unless your old man has a strong desire to improve his health (and willing to make lifestyle changes), I doubt there is much you can do for him in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom