Ques about nuerofeedback

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

POSITIVEPERSON

Playing With Angels
Reaction score
Lets say I find a good Dr to help me with the nuerofeedback. Is this something I have to continue for the rest of my life? Meaning weekly visits to the Dr. Or is it something I learn and do for myself. How long is this
treatment normally? Is this treatment a learning process to self control seizures. Can you describe the procedure to me and instruments used ,is it auditory, visual .

thanks for the info

Positive Person

It's really all up to you.

You can purchase the neurofeedback equipment direct from the manufacturers if you want to do it yourself on the cheap (see our resources page for links to some manufacturers), but then you need to learn how to operate it effectively and learn to interpret the output streams and know how to adjust the programming for the epilepsy protocols (although some of the studies I referenced in the other neurofeedback thread claim that the protocol itself is not so important).

It took about 5-6 months before Stacy realized tangible results from the training. Her doctor recommended periodic follow-ups (like once a month), but we didn't oblige. The effects of the training seemed pretty permanent to us until she delivered our first child roughly four years after her last neurofeedback session.

Neurofeedback is a method of training the brain to function with normalized brain wave patterns (alpha, beta, delta, theta, etc.). When Stacy started out, her brain wave patterns were way out of whack. The neurofeedback helped her brain learn to operate within ranges that are considered normal for most people and when she did, her seizure activity (especially absense seizures) abated.

There are several different neurofeedback machine manufacturers. Stacy used the Nuerocare Pro the first time around when she had a lot of success. She had to have EEG leads glued to her scalp with a toothpaste like glue which feeds a computer with data regarding her brain activity. The Neurocare pro generated auditory tones when she would get her brain waves in line with the programmed goals. She basically played Tetris (unrelated to the Neurocare Pro) to help keep her mind focused, but relaxed and tried to maintain the tones as much as possible.

There are other neurofeedback systems, but they all basically operate on the same principles.

Back
Top Bottom