question about auras...i'm new so pls bear with me

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Linds

New
Reaction score
Back in my preteen years, I used to get a weird dizzy feeling that nobody could explain. It was like going from a bright room to darkness without moving. It eventually went away. About 5-6 yrs ago, I was driving with a friend and felt faint...on the freeway. I pulled over and dropped the truck into park. I woke up with my friend holding my leg, she said I had a seizure. We went to the doctor, they said it was nothing to worry about. I had my kids, one of whom developed epilepsy early on (which is my main reason for joining this group). Recently, I've been getting that faint feeling again, my heart races, I start thinking about random things that happened years ago. This happens while driving, whilestanding in formation (Army Reserves), while watching TV, no real pattern. My doctor basically did a quick check and left it at 'I don't know'. These episodes are infrequent...so I'm wondering what Auras are like from those who experience them. I've already put in a call to a neuro, but lord knows they are busy folks...it'll be a while before I get in. Any thoughts?

Added:

Is it possible to fight auras? When I feel this way, I try everything I can think of to keep from blacking out. I don't know if it helps or even if this IS an aura...I haven't actually succomed (spelling?) ..well since the once on the freeway. It certainly would explain a lot if that's what it is...

Last edited:
Hi Linds,
If those are auras, you can do some things to make them stop, slow breathing being one technique. However, you can have those symptoms for many reasons and you may want to have your doctor check them out. Some other possible causes may be cardiac disorders or possibly gluten sensitivity.Magnesium deficiency is another possible cause for the kind of symptoms you describe.
Below are a few links for you to check out and discuss with your doctor.
Welcome to CWE!

This is written by a cardiologist:
Syncope mistaken for seizuresmitral valve prolapse strenuous physical activities head trauma fainting spell span style: syncope mistaken for seizures.
http://www.heartdisease.about.com/li...blaskdr015.htm

----------
Vasovagal syncope and the inappropriate diagnosis of epilepsyPatients with vasovagal syncope (simple fainting spells) often receive the mistaken diagnosis of seizure disorder, or epilepsy.
http://www.heartdisease.about.com/cs...opeseizure.htm
[PDF] Gluten SensitivityFile Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat
Gluten Sensitivity. Can gluten intolerance make me feel sick? GIG Education ... muscle cramps, neurological complaints (including seizures), and possibly migraine ... S.E.. Auburn, WA 98092-3667. Phone: 253-833-6655. Fax: 253-833-6675 ...
http://www.gluten.net/downloads/print/glutenintoleranceflat.pdf

Magnesium deficiency as a cause of acute intractable seizures.Magnesium deficiency as a cause of acute intractable seizures. Nuytten D, Van Hees J, Meulemans A, Carton H. Department of Neurology, University Hospital ...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1919610

Hello-
auras usually come with complex partial seizures but some people can have just auras without a seizure. If the aura is without a seizure or loss of awareness, then it's called a simple partial seizure. But if you're saying you can't remember things or have forced thinking etc- then it could be something else than an aura.
You might be having some signs of syncope which is a cardia condition. But you should see your neurologist and get a CT/MRI/EEG and bloodwork done to see if it could be anything else.

Please take care-

Very knowlegable people on this site! Thanks for your input! I have seen a cardiologist and they said my heart was normal. My reserve unit wanted me checked out by their doctors and that was the first thing they wanted to rule out. They did a full blood panel, diabetes, thyroid, metabolic...all normal. I haven't ever lost conciousness...just feel like I'm going to. It's like I get dizzy, my heartrate goes up, it does feel like I'm about to faint...the doctors have not come up with anything to explain what it could possibly be. They just tell me to eat regularly...like they can't see that I clearly do eat! Lol! Thanks again for all your help- L

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom