Question strange taste in mouth

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

horsehead

New
Reaction score
Do any of you get a strange taste in your mouth after a seizure? I do not bite my tonge but it does kinda taste like blood or maybe like garlic in my mouth.

Strange tastes are commonly associated with auras (aka simple partial seizures). The most common taste is usually described as a metallic taste. It's more common for them to precede larger seizures rather than follow them AFAIK.

Yes I've read about the strange taste before a seizure but I haven't seen anything about a strange taste after.This has happened after what I think are nocternal seizures.

Yeah, I've had both. I usually get the 'licking the bottom of a battery' taste (metallic, like Bernard said) BEFORE a sz, in an aura. But, I have also had the 'bad breath'/halitosis kinda taste AFTER a sz too in the past. I just wonder whether it's some kind of 'overload' that we may have in our mouths with having sz's ?

Metallic taste over many days

Hello,

I am new to epilepsy so I am trying to figure out a few things.

Since my last seizure I have been taking Keppra and I have from time to time this metallic/blood like taste but no new seizure. Do you guys get an aura feeling, which seems very common but which I can not place yet, a long time before a new episode?

Anyone out there looking for something else than pharmaceutical products to keep the threshold higher than our natural self? I must say that I do not relish the idea of taking pills every days from now on.

Cheers,

Hi justpassing,
My daughter is not on medication.
We are doing a few alternatives, which you can read about in Rebecca's Story in my signature.

Hi Just Passing! Welcome to CWE. Actually, several of us look at alternative methods of seizure control. Bernard is the person to talk to about EEG Neurofeedback and Robinn seems to be the person to talk to about making dietary changes as well as investigating vitamin supplements. Personally, I told my neuro I was taking 1500mg of Magnesium per day and he had me cut back to 1000 mg per day. But still, my neuro was ok with it. :) So check out the library here. You'll find some fantastic information.

I do get an aura for the gran mal type seizures but I dont have a taste in my mouth then.The taste seems to occur right after I feel my body convulsing and wake up.I do get an upset stomach,very hot,and have a tingling feeling all over my body.I don't take any meds now.I did get a dx when I was younger and was put on meds but my parents felt that the doctor was wrong because my seizures went away after I was taken out of school to be home taught. No more stress = no more seizures at that point. The records from that doctor and all the results were never fowarded to any new doctors I saw after that point.I had seizures when in alot of pain or getting blood draws after that in the doctors office but I moved alot and no record was kept. I have been tring to remember everything that has happened during the seizures i think i am having at night,well I sould say before and after them, and I seem to be having several almost nightly. My memory is getting horrible I always feel tired.I really dont know why this is happening so often now.I'm scared to go to the doctor and scared not to.

Horse, if I were you, I would go to the neurologist as soon as possible. Epilepsy and your seizures can get worse if left uncontrolled. The memory loss can be due to your seizures. You need to go to the doctor and be honest with them. In the worst case scenario, a person can suffer from SUDEP. So you need to do your best in figuring out why your having these seizures and finding a way to treat them.

yes I agree I do need to go in .I will call my doctor tomarrow and set up an appt.Is there anything i need to remember to ask?

Thanks all for the pointers, it looks like a long night of reading in front of me.

Horsehead watch out for the mood swings if they start you on Keppra. I am just starting to get them under control.

Cheers,

thanks for the warning. I hope it wont be as bad as prednasone,I know I spelled that wrong.

Just Passing: Welcome

Horse: I'm a fairly newbie too, so follow the advice of the more experienced and wiser - all I will say is that if I was new at the idea of the possibility of epilepsy and knew it could ultimately cause sudden death and thought I might have it - I'd be running to my doctor's office to find out a sure answer!! ( some insurance requires a referral )

Let us know what the doc's ourcome for you is.

Just Passing: Again welcome. I've been on Keppra for quite some time, let me ask Carey, he just replied "You're actually nicer" - he also just said "I'm gonna have to ask Dr... to double it, lol, you're actually nicer, I never would've thunk it!!! :)" As I've said before - different strokes for different folks. (I wasn't MEAN before - well, not since being on medications) - I think, if I'm right, the Temporal Lobe has something to do with emotions and personality, so if it gets "fixed" I reckon sometimes it fixes underlying unknown problems that were always thought to just be the person??? (See, I said I'm just learning too)

Google "TEMPORAL LOBE PERSONALITY", HIPPACAMPI, EPILEPSY and you will find out all sorts of things. I'm sure Bernard, Brain, and others can add links to good places to find information, HOWEVER THE DOCTOR IS WHERE TO BEGIN FOR DIAGNOSIS!! :)

Last edited:
Good luck! I'll have to call at the clinic tomorrow, they are not calling me back.

Do any of you get a strange taste in your mouth after a seizure? I do not bite my tonge but it does kinda taste like blood or maybe like garlic in my mouth.

I just found this page because I had a seizure last night and a few aftershocks today- I had blood in my mouth and it feels like I had a bad night. Then today I've had a few 'dips' back into weirdland and it made sense. I was pretty manic today also.
But I googled "taste in mouth after seizure" and this page came up as a result.

I've had a gooey-metallic taste-feel in my mouth today since afternoon.

I have a seizure study coming up too. I need to get an e-cigarette... :ponder:

Strange taste after seizure

I experience the same thing-strange taste AFTER a seizure. I thought I was all alone since everyone seems to experience it before seizures as an aura. I don't even know how to describe the taste... I'm glad I'm not the only one with this!

I think to myself it has something to do with the chemical alteration in the brain during ictal periods - either directly to the tastebuds or in the taste centers of the brain

I experience the same thing-strange taste AFTER a seizure. I thought I was all alone since everyone seems to experience it before seizures as an aura. I don't even know how to describe the taste... I'm glad I'm not the only one with this!

yes i do all the time and i quit drinking soda cause i thought that was what it was but it wasn't

I googled this exact question and came up with this thread as the top hit, AGAIN, apparently

Back
Top Bottom