reading light or lamp

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Emee

Stalwart
Reaction score
What type bulb or lamp do you use for reading that does not cause problems?
I can only read for very few minutes before the print starts to blur. I've had eye exams & use reading glasses but that doesn't make things more clear. I think my problem is a brain thing but I do like to read. Any suggestions? thanks!

Do you read books or use a kindle/e-reader? I love my kindle because the screen isn't really bright, and i can adjust the font size to how i like it, that really reduces eye strain

You can get little book lights that clip onto the top of a kindle or book so only that gets lit up. I found that a lot better than having a lamp or light on next to me, and tends to be a steady light that doesn't flicker or mess about, might be worth looking into one of those if you haven't tried already.

I like books. I have the clip on book light but it isn't as much light as I need. I need a lot of light but the fluorescent seems to trigger migraines. Thanks for your reply.

Have you tried LED lights? They come in all sorts of lamps/varieties, and they don't have flicker the way fluorescents do. I gave my 90-year old aunt one that you can wear around your neck for reading. It comes with 4 bright LED bulbs, and you can change the lights from from spotlight to wide-angle.

Hi Emee,

I had a problem with different color light a few yrs. ago then I had a special e.e.g. done and my Dr. ordered different color lights to be flashing one at a time and it was then they found that certain colors were triggering seizures for me and this may be the problem you are having even though you aren't having seizure the light may be bothering you enough to cause the migraines. I've found just using a regular 40 watt light bulb the best for me but as I mentioned everyone is different. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Back
Top Bottom