Records say Epilepsy/Complex Partial Seizures but..

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Okay, I had my seizure January 4th 2011 & it was a grand mal seizure. Unconcsious for several minutes with no recollection of ride to the hospital & woke up in the ambulance, then next thing woke in the ER.

Of course the did a cat scan, normal. Then saw Neurologist 2 weeks later, he did initial exam and asked questions, then ordered an EEG & that was normal, then ordered a MRI & found the brain bleed but no apparent reason for the seizure, at least not that he could tell. He did tell me the blood could have covered the reason for the seizure & that the bleeding could be from the seizure, etc.

Now the question. I haven't been officially diagnosed with Epilepsy and have had one grand mal seizure. There's a possibilty of seizures where I'm aware of surroundings & didn't pass out but sounds were muffled. However it didn't occur to me that it was possible to be related so I didn't mention it to the Neurologist yet.

So with all that, why would my records state I have epilepsy with Complex partial seizures? Everything I read says to be diagnosed, it's typical you have more than one seizure.

All I know is that just cause tests were normal doesn't mean I don't have it cause sometimes it's too deep to be picked up by tests. It's just odd that it's on my medical records even though I don't have an official diagnosis. Can anyone relate?

:brain:

I think that's a question for your neurologist. They must have a reason for deciding you have epilepsy despite the fact you haven't given a repeat performance. To the best of my knowledge yes, it's customary to have more than one seizure before they go running around slapping the epileptic label on you. In fact, my doctor at the time of my first seizure swore black and blue that I'd probably just fainted! Bahahahaha. No. After my second, and subsequent diagnosis I changed doctors. Anyway, I'd ask your neuro what their reasoning is.
Good luck and best wishes :)

Oh yes, I can relate. When I requested a statement from neuro#1 to give a local agency, he told me and them that I had intractable E. When neuro#2 examined my records from neuro#1, she said I hadn't even received a diagnosis of E.

Yes I do plan to ask him. My appointment isn't till December but I have a list of questions I want to ask him. Also I'll have had a second EEG by then & he says things could have changed from the first time so we'll see what happens in that one. My records also say I had kidney surgery but never did. I've had two surgeries, colectomy and brain surgery.

Back
Top Bottom