Responsive Neurostimulator (RNS) system

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bernard

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
Here is yet another clinical trial for an implantable device. This one is from NeuroPace, Inc.:
The Responsive Neurostimulator (RNS) System
The Responsive Neurostimulator (RNS) is implanted under the scalp and is connected to one or two wires placed in the brain. The RNS constantly monitors the brain's electrical activity from these wires for the start of seizure activity. If seizure activity is detected, the RNS responds and delivers mild electrical stimulation through the wires, with the objective of stopping seizure activity before the patient experiences clinical symptoms.

Uhhh... Yuck. I'm more than a little skepitcal Bernie.

:lol: Perhaps this is a better way to go...
srs0003r-sm.jpg

Bernard! You idiot! lol
Damn near made me pee my pants!

Actually the deep brain stimulation seems to be more palatable in light of the problems with attachment to the Vagus nerve. But I imagine the screaning for this one would be much more carefully monitered since the probes stimulate the thalamus gland.

Hmmmmmmm....verrry interesting. :wink:

:lol: Yeah, that image didn't turn out very well, but it is the 'happy helmet', one of my favorite episodes.

Perhaps I'm the only one who sees the greater irony in the FDA's & medical industry's desire to test implantable electronic devices to stimulate the brain versus neurofeedback to train the brain non-invasively to regulate itself.

Back
Top Bottom