running and simple partial seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I've had 3 Generalized Tonic-Clonic seizures which have been controlled by lamictal. Now I get simple partial seizures. It seems they happen when I run, more often then not. They come about once a week. During the winter, while being a strict vegan, I rarely got them. Now that I've fallen off the vegan wagon just a tad and I'm running again, they are back. I can keep running but slow down when they happen and occasionally have to stop moving. While with friends, I can't talk and don't really understand what they are saying. At the same time, I know what is happening. The Dr. said that they could eventually lead to a full seizure so I should take more lamictal (I'm on 150 mg twice a day) but when I tried more, I was always tired and not myself. He then recommended keppra but I don't want to be tired again, assuming it does the same. Its also expensive and I don't have insurance.
So that's the background. anyone have an opinoin. I'm getting worried and my runs are getting very long and I will be working up to a marathon.
Thanks for your input,
Amanda

Hi Amanda --

Do you have a sense of what your seizure triggers might be? Is there anything else that has changed since the winter? Are you getting enough sleep? If the simple partials are showing up while you're running, could they be related to either blood sugar issues or dehydration? Perhaps changing your routine or adding some nutritional/vitamin supplements to your mostly vegan diet might help.

Good luck!
Nakamova

I am curious as to how you have fallen off the vegan wagon. What have you added in? It would seem to me that your body is sensitive to something. A pretty darn good indication, I would think.

Adding more meds to counterbalance that, is just plain silly. Only covering up the cause, IMO. Changing meds too, is just going to throw your system a double whammy. At least that was our experience.

Why not start eliminating whatever you have adding in to your daily nutrition. Work on clearing your liver, with lemon water, and watermelon. Over time you might see an improvement. (Bowels need to be moving everyday also to eliminate toxins.)

Thank you both for your thoughts. I agree. We have a greenhouse business so we are so busy this time of year and my family are not vegans so I've tended to take the easy way out and eat things like pizza (no meat) or eggs that might be in desserts or milk instead of soy milk. I also agree that more meds are not the answer. I finally found a discussion on another epilepsy site and most have ended their workouts. But one cyclist said that he thought he needed to keep the electrolytes balance/steady. I know that "Emergen-C has come out with an electrolyte product that I will try with tomorrows run (short) and Sundays long run. I felt so much better as a vegan. Energetic, too. So I am definitely, as of lunch today, back on the wagon. Amanda

body temp increase

i had the same problem. anytime i exercised i would have a seizure. even a brisk walk would cause it at least half the time. i talked to a doctor and he mentioned the increase in my body temp could be causing it. therefore i started to swim and they went away. the cool temp of the pool water keeps my body temp down and i remain seizure free during my exercising. i still have seizures, just not while i'm working out. and i do work out hard...40 minutes non stop...i used to wrestle, so i know what true exercise is. good luck.

I agree with Robin, ksahern, and Nakamova,

Looking for the root cause is a great course of action. It could be temperature, electrolytes, or something in your diet. Do you keep a seizure diary? Changing one thing at a time, noting it in your seizure diary, along with seizures (including auras) can help you pinpoint what's going on. Or, you could change all the things that are different back to the same as winter, see if your seizures dissapear, and then if they do change those variables back one at a time and see when your seizures reappear. It may take awhile but you'll have the culprit identified.

I'm vegan except when I'm away from home, and I think eggs and dairy might contribute to my seizure disorder. I know meat is definitely a no-no for me because when it's snuck into my diet (even in broth, unknown by me) I get really sick and then "boom!" aura+seizure. And my digestive system is screwed up for weeks.

Good luck. Will you let us know what it is when you get it figured out?

If Diet is so important it would make me think that their is a direct gut involvement for sure in some.
I am beginning to think sometimes I have some wheat issues, but I think from some vomiting or naseau I experienced recently I pulled something and/or developed a hernia.It just doesn't feel right.
Will try some expereiments

Back
Top Bottom