Scared after a nocturnal seizure

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

brydy23

New
Reaction score
Hi,

I just had multiple nocturnal seizures last night right before I woke up, which I would categorize as tonic, because my muscles twitched and I felt like I couldn't breathe for a second. Now I have a slight headache this morning. I'm going to attribute it to my having 4 hours of sleep the night beforehand, but it was still such a scary experience. Anyone else have experience with these? I can't concentrate at work because of being concerned about it.

~Bryan

That was what my dream was like. I was aware of what was happening and I felt like I was choking almost, they are really difficult to explain. The doctor was useless and I was useless at explaining things!

i had another seizure last night at 1am. I woke up with the feeling of fear, sadness... nausea in my stomach, I could hear girgling going on in my stomach area... then came the heart racing and jerking with stiffening. Ive felt dead tired today. My head hurts, and Ive been trying to relax

I hate that sinking feeling when you wake up and realize what has happened. I hope all of you feel better soon.

For me, its one of the worst feelings, compared to actually being aware during a seizure and can feel everything that is going on.

I may have more sleep seizures than I knew prior to having a girlfriend bed-mate
did you get a lot of splotchy color visuals too? I woke up and was in major panic for a while. I told my neurologist about it yesterday who asked if I had a lot of colorful dreams which surprised me about him knowing - but then it occurred to me I had read somewhere that the eyeballs will still register colors when closed and will be distorted by the blood pressure changes going through them during a seizure. similar to the headaches and brain

did you have any visuals like this?:
Fundus_Fig1_Normal-Retina.jpg

because thinking back on it, I sure did - but in a lot of different colors and overlays and merging shapes

Byrdy23 Are you sure you are not getting up and walking in your sleep? I am having nocturnals and have gone back to bed and gone back to sleep. I have had a nocturnal every 2 or 3 months for the last 18 months and I find that I have gotten up and walked around the house. I wish I would clean it up instead of making a mess:) The last week I was home alone and woke up later in the morning to find some bruises on my head and feet, blood on my face from the bruises and my back and neck are still sore. I remembered some of the walking around during my saizure and found evidence of where I had been after I got up at 05:00 that morning. I am taking 200mg x 2 Lamictal and 200mg x 2 Zonegran daily now but I have seen most who have nocturnal seizures take Tegretol with good success and I will talk to my nuro this Friday concerning maybe a change for me. It usually takes me a day or two to get "back to normal" HA! or at least feeling comfident again. My blood pressure is some times low for a day too and I won't feel sure of myself. I too went to work the next day and things seemed to get back on track faster.

PaintMaster - Yes I'm usually conscious during them unfortunately, or at least partially conscious. These kind of nocturnal seizures generally only happen to me once every few months but I had 2 clusters of them in a week so I was a bit concerned. It's almost as if the room is spinning and my legs and arms convulse slightly. It's a weird feeling, and my heart tends to race after one. Ever since I've heard of SUDEP, I've been so paranoid that something like that will happen to me, but I know generally it's those with severe uncontrolled seizures that it happens to. But still, it's such a scary feeling and I hate waking up after one. I'm only on 600mg of Trileptal 2x a day and 15mg of Onfi 2x a day, but it's just concerning when I generally have absence seizures most of the time.

Driving so how many of you that have nocturnal seizurues only are still driving. I mean when you are in a sleep state not awake and during the evening, late night hours.
Jerry

Back
Top Bottom