Scared

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

smilemily

New
Reaction score
Hello,
My name is Emily. I have had seizures for two years. I have simple/complex partial, absence, and grand mal.
Today something happened that scared me. I have been off of Topamax for a few weeks now. But today my whole face went numb like it would have if I was on Topamax. The numbness then was in my right leg. To the point that it hurts. My right hand start to feel tingly as well. This was all over the course of an hour and a half. My vision was weird. Too hard to describe. I am sleepy now. Still a little numb in my hand. Not much of a headache. I had some absence seizures apparently in this state. Does anyone know what this is?
Side note: does anyone else's eyes hurt after a grand mal seizure?

Thanks,
Emily

smilemily

Yes my eyes hurt after a seizure, very sensitive to sunlight after a seizure. It might just be the last of the topamax leaving your system, however in saying that it would be no harm letting your doctor know about this.

Hey smileemily, the tingling and other symptoms could be related to the Topamax, or it could be related to seizures, or something else. A few questions:

1. Are you on any other medications?
2. Did you stop the Topamax because of the tingling/numbness side effect?
3. Have you had your potassium levels checked?

That last question is because Topamax can lead to potassium deficiency -- which can then cause the tingling and numbness. Even though you're off the Topamax, you could still be low in potassium. Let your doctor know about about the latest symptoms. And in the meantime, eat a lot of foods with potassium -- bananas, avocados, potatoes, spinach, almonds, beans and lentils.

Back
Top Bottom