Second time posting this...didn't get answers last time.

Reaction score
Is it pretty common to have more than one type of seizure? I have grand mals and possibly myoclonics and abscence seizures. It's pretty irritating and I wonder if it's possible that I may develop more?

jyearta

New
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't reply sooner.

My seizures have changed through the years, I don't understand why, or I should say I didn't until I joined this forum. I didn't know about triggers or that hormones could play a role.

I have absence seizures, but before they come on I always have déjà uv which is another type of seizures - I forgot the name of that one.

Reaction score
Yea its frustrating. I am still searching for answers for my seizures in general and more coming on just sucks.

Reaction score
I have seen a neur. once, since that came back negative it seems they don't care and no meds yet.

jyearta

New
Reaction score
It not unusual for the many test they run to come back normal.

I had I don't how many Test with each Neur. I saw and all my test came. back normal, until I a MRI at Emory finally showed the reason. They gave me a copy of that disk and I take to my Neur. appt. when I change Neur.

Is There a teaching hospital close to you?

jemsister

New
Reaction score
I have partial seizures and drop attacks. My partials are not really anything like they were at the beginning. I used to get kind of a floaty, dizzy, lightheaded feeling, and then I would get a blackout, but during the complex partial I would continue to do things. Now during the complex partial, I just sit there and make "lobster claws" with my hands, and with a simple partial, instead of the floaty feeling, everything sounds hollow and tinny, and I have a lot of pain and a crawly feeling inside my head. My neurologist says it would not be unlikely for me to develop grand mals.

I agree with the comment about the testing. What kind of test was it--an EEG? I have had 4 EEGs, but only one of them has come back abnormal. My MRI came back abnormal as well, with a malformed temporal lobe.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It was an EEG. I am making an appointment Monday to hopefully get in and see my GP. Hopefully he will order more MRIs and any other tests I may need.

ksrandall

New
Reaction score
Is it pretty common to have more than one type of seizure? I have grand mals and possibly myoclonics and abscence seizures. It's pretty irritating and I wonder if it's possible that I may develop more?
For people with Generalized Epilepsy, yes it is common.

No epilepsy patient is guaranteed to be 100% seizure free in their lifetime. A few people become seizure-free via surgery, but they are the exception, not the rule. In my life, seizures go in-and-out of remission all the time. As of last August, I've been seizure-free for 4 years but that could change in the future.

Reaction score
Congrats on being 4 years seizure free...I've been one night seizure free lol. I am really hoping for answers soon I am so sick of dealing with these seizures. Sometimes I just want to scream.

jyearta

New
Reaction score
feel free to scream has long and hard as you need. I scream into my pillow.
When I tried talking to friends or family, I really think they don't believe me. I try to be understanding, I know they expect to fall to the floor and move around and with my type of E. that is not the case.

Finding this forum has helped me more than I can say. I just have a hard time putting my feeling into the correct wording now, this has not always been the case.

Sooooorrrry. I am rambling again.

MAB

New
Reaction score
I have seen a neur. once, since that came back negative it seems they don't care and no meds yet.
My first neuro 3 1/2 years ago dismissed my symptoms after my EEG came back normal. I kept going to my primary care doctor with all kinds of strange symptoms but the main complaint was frequent exhaustion. I finally told her about the strange odors I kept smelling. She told me to see my neuro and I told her I didn't like him. She recommended a different neuro who actually took time to listen to all my symptoms. She said she thought I was having partial seizures and she told me seizures don't always show on an EEG and you have to be having a seizure while they are doing the EEG. She reviewed my MRI from 3 1/2 years ago and said the area of my brain that showed damage was consistent with my symptoms. She is treating me for partial seizures based on the symptoms I reported.

Keep looking until you find someone that will listen to you.

Good luck with the coming baby.