Sedated EEG, What?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

JLogefeil

New
Reaction score
My friends from New Zealand, is visiting and yesterday he had a bunch of cluster seizures. So later that night they went to the hospital.
The first thing a nurse said is that he looked pretty good for having cluster seizure through out the day. So I guess the doc or and no one believe him. The doctor told him they wanted to sedated him and hook him up to an EEG.
Now I m soo confused, I never heard of a sedated EEG.
I felt the doc were trying to trick him, becuase they thought he was fakin them.
So I told him that I feel that and I never heard of them sedating someone for an EEG. I told my friend Greg thats his name, that sometimes they have to sedate people for there seizures to stop, and if he has one when he's sedated then it will be the doctors proof that he is faking his seizures, am I wrong?
Does anyone understand what Im trying to say?
Can anyone give me some information about this so called Sedated EEG?
So I talked to my friend and this is what he wrote back to me. I also told copied and pasted what Julie wishes wrote and this is his reply.
"Yea to stop them and do an EEG under a small sedative.. Cause I freak out /: like my heart rate goes up and blood pressure shoots up.. I'll put myself into a panic attack".
So again my question is what is this test? If he would have been giving the meds to stop the seizure, how would a seizure show up then on the test?

Last edited:
Maybe it is as simple as the doctor said they would sedate him ( ativan to stop the clusters) ..... THEN give him an EEG. Not necessarily a sedated EEG. I only wonder because I have a hard time understanding what people say after I've had seizure issues. Especially clusters.

Maybe it is as simple as the doctor said they would sedate him ( ativan to stop the clusters) ..... THEN give him an EEG. Not necessarily a sedated EEG. I only wonder because I have a hard time understanding what people say after I've had seizure issues. Especially clusters.

You were right Julie wishes, I added what my friend said to the post I posted. Thank you :)

My son's situation is a bit different, but he has been sedated for all his EEGs. The reason is because he is an infant, and he can't stay still long enough for the technician to affix the electrodes to his head and run the EEG. The medication they give him does not stop any seizure activity; it only puts him to sleep. All of his EEGs have been abnormal. He did actually have one EEG while awake (when he was just a few days old), but it was very, very difficult to prevent him from moving during the test.

Back
Top Bottom