Seizure Alert/Response Dogs

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ADK

New
Reaction score
I have 2 Seizure Alert/Response Dogs and I find them undoubtedly helpful. The dogs work together.
I find that the public is somewhat understanding of Service Dogs.

Has anyone else considered SAD's?

Good story about SAD's: The blog is Epilepsy friendly. I'm new and I can't post links yet.

www.epstorm.blogspot.com

Would you use an SAD if one was available or affordable? Or would you train your own?

I trained my own.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I

would use one if it was already trained. Puppies and I DON'T get along very well. (Long story).

Oh, and btw, welcome to CWE. :)

PS. That's an interesting blog......

Last edited:
my 15 year old daughter has possibly myoclonic absence epilepsy which is active and has never been controlled. i have considered a seizure alert dog for when she becomes an adult but im not sure how helpful they are for her type of epilepsy and im not sure where to find out. i just think it will allow her more independence in adulthood with roads etc. if you have any info about seizure alert dogs can you let me know, i would be very grateful as i dont seem to get much help from proffessionals with info.

many thanks

Thanks for the Welcome!

About my dogs I trained:

Mabel and Dexter, both 3 years old, are AKC/CKC purebred Beagles that were originally trained for Search and Rescue. They have recently been licensed in NY as service animals as Seizure Alert/ Response dogs by the New York State Ag and Markets.

How dogs detect an oncoming seizure in a human is a mystery. Some trainers and researchers think they detect subtle changes in human behavior or scent before an episode occurs. There are no scientific studies, however, to prove these theories. Trainers also believe the behavior is not breed, age or gender specific in dogs. Although, Purebred Beagles bred for hunting appear to have a better sense of smell, calm demeanor, outward appearance, a small size for travel, a greater intelligence, and less shedding of fur. beagles have to be smart to catch that "Wabbit." lol

Seizure alert dogs are born with this remarkable ability. This sets them apart from other types of service animals.

This alerting behavior has been reported to occur several seconds to 45 minutes or more before the onset of the seizure. The dog does this by exhibiting marked changes in behavior, including close eye contact, circling, pawing, barking etc.

Mabel and Dexter alert to seizure activity by remaining close to their handler either standing or lying alongside him, jumping on the handler's chest, pawing, licking the handler's face or hands during and immediately after the seizure. They alert their owner to an impending seizure about twenty minutes in advance.

During the seizure Mabel grounds the handler by laying across his feet or by bracing him. Dexter grounds his handler by laying across the handler's chest and calling for help by howling non stop.

Currently, Mabel is being trained to use a cell phone to call 911 by using her paws to hit special keys on the key pad that are programmed for emergency assistance.

The dogs do not need to wear vests or capes and the handler does not have to show certification or licensing. Although, Mabel and Dexter do have NY State ID tags as Service Animals and their handler carries the State licensing paperwork, the Handler does not have to provide the paperwork.

I am starting to train SAD's for other individuals.

My guide dog Umbro was trained while I was in traing at my guide dog school for seizure-work. Before I knew this, I would wonder why his behavior would change. I put the two together when one day I was walking and he was working and he stopped me, turned in front of me and didn't let me walk anywhere. I told him "Umbro, forward!" and he didnt do it. A little while later, I realized I had a CP while standing up, half walking or wandering. Umbro stopps being a guide dog and become a seizure-respond dog. He totally wants me to sit down or stop whant I'm doing. Sometimes in class he would stand up and put his head on my leg and stare me down. I called G.E.B where I got him from and they said that my trainer saw me have a seizure and observed Umbro just to make sure that he would not freak out- he didn't and this is how he responded to me while I was there in training to get him.
I had no idea till a month later about this behavior since I hadn't had a seizure in about that much time.
Umbro is a wonderful guide dog and does excellent seizure work for me. It is true that they are born with this ability. The service dog schools are only able to fine tune their responsive behavior or teach them to do additional tasks while a person is having a seizure. Umbro is my guardian and will always be.

What I noticed is the "Bond" I have with my SAD's. I treat them like a pet.

Although, there pedigree is phenomenal and there hunting skills are beyond approach they have the natural ability to sense a seizure.

A good SAD has the ability to wake up when the wind is moving, bring you a dish when they are hungry...etc. A natural bond is necessary, but the skills require an intelligent dog. I can fine tune the natural ability to "hit" on a seizure etc.

It is sickening to say that a waiting list as long as 4 years to obtain an SAD when a good Beagle can be trained in 3-4 months.

I am happy for you Chrystal because you actually got "A Buy one, Get one Free."lol

I want to help people to obtain SAD's. They opened the door back open to me to the world I so long missed.

Last edited:
I used to train animals as part of my college courses. Mostly dogs and exotic birds/parrots. It was mostly behavioural training and such though.

I wouldn't know how specifically to train an SAD dog, but it would be interesting to find out...

i want a siezure dog but dont know that i could afford one... i could definately take care of it once i had the dog but i cant pay $400 to buy a yorkie or a beagle or whatever breed. And i dont have time to train the dog... im starting college in the fall and i would feel better knowing i had someone there that knew what was going on. Not neccessarily a person but regardless. Stress triggers my siezures and thats why i had one my freshman year of highschool and i dont think college will be any easier!

It is relatively simple.

Do you have a dog now?

No, but if i moved out of my parents and into my place i would certainly like to, even if it's only for company. Perhaps a golden retriever or a Labrador (I love Irish Wolfhounds, but they are huuuuuge!)

This was e-mailed to me. I kept the author confidential:

I have my lab/greyhound trained for 'public' outings (stores). But, now that
hubby is w/ me he won't allow her to go w/ us. My seizures are controlled (Thank
Goodness) for now. But, after 20 yrs on same med, I worry. Of course I don't let
that worry consume me. Just the thought is present. My dog stays close to me at
home. I haven't done any 'special' training. I do know to watch her body
language & I know she is aware of my 'funky' days. Ep or med 'mood swings'. :)

MY answer:

"Special Training" is NOT a criteria for being a SAD!

1. If the SAD responds to your seizures by licking you, barking, pawing etc. in some manner and does some "other" task for you it qualifies as an SAD.

2. Please PM (private message) me as my dogs are one of the first 50 licensed SAD's in NY.

I hope I can help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a question, no real reason, just curious. Do these dogs only detect seizures and act on them with their owner or will they do that for any old stranger on the street? I'll bet that would certainly surprise someone to have a strange dog jump on them like that. :ponder:

Good Question!

The issue with SAD's is bonding and the owners scent. The dog can detect a change in their handler's scent. The SAD's work for their owner not the stranger.

If the old stranger on the street has a rabbit I may be in a world of #&*% because my SAD's are Beagles! lol

Hello everyone

I have a 4 yr old chocolate lab and an 11 yr.old cat They seems to already know when I'm going to have a seizure. They won't leave my side. My dog has even bitten EMT's several times

i have decided that this is possibly the only way forward for my daughter and have looked up beagles on the internet. i have gone on to rehoming centres and private sales but im not sure where to go from here. who would i need to contact for training and info etc. i live in England. any ideas????

i have an 8month lab/jack russell.. does anyone think its possible to train her to be a SAD ?? if so, what r the steps i take? i have little money so i dont think i can afford a dog trainer, is it possible to do at home?

Morgan86,

Training an SAD/ Response Dog is not difficult but it takes time.

What I would do is lay on the floor and pretend to convulse and see if your dog comes to you. If your dog comes to you it is a very good sign.

Do this a couple of times a day and when he comes, praise him and give him "good Treats. I used chees or cheap hot dogs. It is the only time my SAD's get table food.

It is believed that the dog will begin sensing you seizing to get treats.

I am not an expert but this worked for me.

i have decided that this is possibly the only way forward for my daughter and have looked up beagles on the internet. i have gone on to rehoming centres and private sales but im not sure where to go from here. who would i need to contact for training and info etc. i live in England. any ideas????

I found this Link... It's for actually applying for a seizure dog, but it may be worth looking into.

http://www.support-dogs.org.uk/SADogs.htm

thanx ADK. i tried twice today and she came over but she is still an impulsive hyper little puppy. how do i tell if shes coming over out of concern or wanting to play? one thing that gives me hope tho is that the other night i had a small seizure and my husband said that right b4 she started barking for no reason in her kennel. could that be a sign that she may be good at detecting?

Back
Top Bottom